Does someone’s opinion affect your opinion?

So I have a very nice turntable with a new MC cartridge which I liked and enjoyed…that is until someone said that the cartridge was very “piercing” and in his opinion almost unlistenable. Now I find I am not enjoying it as much. Two things to add, he is not anymore “golden ear” than me, and the brands are well known with good reviews. 
But now, I don’t enjoy it as much. I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it does and it has impacted my enjoyment.

So, has this happen to you and what did you do? 

128x128deadhead1000

@deadhead1000 

I can relate to your story. I’m guessing most people value other’s opinions and are subject to be swayed to a degree. The people we surround ourselves with and listen to is key, at least in my mind. But in the end, I make the call and live with the consequences!

After church tomorrow I’m going to see if I can catch a smallie or two! Have a great weekend!

I went to my doctor.  He said I needed an operation.

I said, "Doc, I'd like another opinion."

He said, "OK, you're ugly."

.... Rodney Dangerfield.

I can be suggestable. Sometimes I'm affected by other's opinions, sometimes not so much. I know I really like something when I continue to just love it even while the person next to me is saying it sounds pretty bad. 

Hello deadhead1000.  Just realize that at least half the people you talk to have very little experience and don't know what they are talking about. I started building speakers at age 10. I have over 70 years experience. I sold stereo gear for a living to 19+ years. I have paid attention to preserving my senses. I have the ears of a much younger man (and he upset about it!). I do read  reviews (look for a full page ad nearby - draw the obvious conclusion). Realize that "If you are in the market for a speaker at this price point be sure to give it listen," means it's a dud. If the reviewer bought the evaluation sample, pay attention. Many salsemen work on commision. Steve Guttenburg, I consider a reliable source. Any magazine is in business to sell magazines. And . . . no two people ear the same thing. Our ear shapes are unique, not to mention our brains. And . . . experts insist 20% of all people have some form of mental illness, Like what you like. Person X doesn't like your cartridge, he probably doesn't like your wife either. Would you swap wives with him? 

If I thought someone’s system sounded "piercing" I’d be well-mannered enough, I hope, to hide my opinion. Imagine your friend prefers the warmest and richest of cartridges, even at the expense of detail. He persuades you to replace your "piercing" cartridge, which you like and enjoy, with one like his. Would you, could you be happy then?

Your system is for your enjoyment. His tastes will be different to yours, inevitably. Enjoy your cartridge and ignore what might be right for him.