Learning about crossovers helped convert me from atheist to a believer in God

Let’s see if this one survives.    

I have been an atheist for 50 years.  Recently I became a believer.  One factor that helped tip the scales is the “fine tuned universe” argument - the idea that the physics constants, e.g. the mass of an electron, are so finely “selected” that if they weren’t very close to what they are, life wouldn’t exist.  This is an argument for a creator.  The best counter argument seems to be that there are an infinite number of universes and we got lucky.  

When I got into audio, and started learning about crossovers, I was ASTOUNDED at how well the pieces fit together.  Octaves are exact doubles of frequency.  3dB describes so many seemingly unrelated phenomena.  But the one that really got me was the magic of capacitors and inductors.  They share no parts, other than wires sticking out at each end (usually), one acts due to voltage, one acts due to electromagnetism, one resists AC, one resists DC.  And yet, somehow, they are mirror images of each other, using almost exactly the same equations, behaving perfectly orthogonal to each other, even to the extent of how powerfully they perform their function (3dB again).  How is this possible?  Could this have happened due to random chance?  I smell a creator.  

alanhuth

At its most basic Kant stipulates that you shouldn’t do to others what you don’t want to be done to you: some exterior motive imposed on the thinking process!

And as to your postulated abolition of a private sphere: that is clearly each individual’s choice. Just the fact that some people are indiscriminate doesn’t warrant the abolition of one of the most fundamental human freedoms. Yes, there are corporations abusing the gullible, that however is a matter for regulation.

At its most basic Kant stipulates that you shouldn’t do to others what you don’t want to be done to you: some exterior motive imposed on the thinking process!

The principle that you shoudnt do to others what you dont want to be done on you , is universal and is in China as it is in Semitic writing...Or in Germany...

But how this principle can be conceived and justified is very important and very different in each comtext ...

This principle can be derived from or abstracted from religious dogma or social demands.... In this case the unfree spirit receive it as a command to act ...Moral principle are posed then as universal and categorical imperatives... duty EXTERNAL to any free subject ... This moral principle is then INDEPENDANT of the thinking activity of each subject...

For an unfree spirit the link between a concept and a percept is given in advance, without his own thinking participation , the moral motives is imposed to the thinking process as a moral absraction... A duty...

In contrast a free subject can relate by his own intuitive and imaginative activity the concept and the percept , and here the motivation to act arise not as a duty , but as a free choice...

Kant inherited from the Cartesian dualism and introduced in science the distinction between the thing in itself and appearance...In a way Kant morality reflected the unfree nature of this imposed dualism...For Kant we dont know reality, we impose on it something... Qualities dont reflect reality but our own limitations..

In a non Kantian integral unitive perspective, which refuse dualism , it is moral imagination of EACH subject who create the motive to act...Not an external imposed category inherited from history , religions, or science... Here each free subject decide by his own activity what to do...The result of his action come from a free choice in his own thinking ability...There is no more any duty...Here free subject can know reality directly ... Qualities are real not illusions..

It is why there is a big difference when the same principle, do not do to others, is conceived as a social duty a categorical imperative inherited  OUT OF REALITY by Kant and Confucius or conceived as an individual free choice by an awaken free thinker as Christ or Buddha created  IN REALITY ...

And as to your postulated abolition of a private sphere: that is clearly each individual’s choice. Just the fact that some people are indiscriminate doesn’t warrant the abolition of one of the most fundamental human freedoms. Yes, there are corporations abusing the gullible, that however is a matter for regulation.

I never postulated or claim that the private sphere will be abolished, it is the frontier between the private and the public which is disturbed by modern communication...This perturbation is not created by random process but deliberately acted upon and used by entities that are immoral...

To be free man must be educated and trained to think by himself...This is this education for freedom which disapear ...Not the private sphere ....The private sphere is under CONTROL...

If we study the economical history, the pedagogical history and the medical history, we can observe a regression of the common goods in the name of profit and the complete control of man as a consumer, and the reduction of the free link between the doctor and his patient to an unfree "duty" programmed by external economical forces over the doctor freedom and over the patient freedom ...

Democracy is in complete regression...it is now a symbolic existence under the spell of ploutocratic lobbies... That is plain for all to see...

@mahgister 

"Humanity divide then in two groups : sleepwalkers and spiritually awake people...."

Even though English is not your first language, I am humbled by the power of many of the thouhts that you have communicated in this thread.

Thank You

I am myself in awe by the OP intuition that are very deep...

It make me think...

And we think together here...

Thanks for your kind patience with my obsessive need to discuss...

My job before retirement was discussing ... 😊

Some claim that this thread has nothing to do with audio...

It is not true...

Beside electricity and crossover...

There is the sound enigma...

Are sound only mere illusions coming from the waves in the air medium reflecting our own sense limitation, or is sound a reality which can be perceived directly with an informative qualitative content more meaningful than just subjective illusions ?

I will not go there for the moment...

But suffice to say beyond the division between the "computing" Kantian brain and the inaccessible "thing in itself" , beyond cartesianism, sound perceived qualities put us in deep relation to reality and seeing put us in a real world....( i am inspired by the visual ecological theory of perception of J.J. Gibson here )

Then what electricity created in the intuition of the OP about the necessary existence of an  INFORMED and FORMATIVE SOURCE field; acoustic, music and numbers, created the same intuition in me about the presence of a SOURCE... What i call a formative /informative universal field...Number theory is only a static  apparently silent shadow of this field ... See Alain Connes video about the music of primes...

@mahgister

"Humanity divide then in two groups : sleepwalkers and spiritually awake people...."

Even though English is not your first language, I am humbled by the power of many of the thouhts that you have communicated in this thread.

Thank You

All organisms seek to persist; they want not to perish. Homo Sapiens are no different than any other organism in this regard. They are different, however, in two important ways; they possess self awareness and the capacity for abstract thought. In combination, these two capabilities have, in addition to many positive manifestations, served to manifest within humans two deeply-rooted psychological needs: self-preservation and self-protection. For self- preservation, humans have created the notion of a soul, something with permanence that will continue to exist after the death of the body. Buddhism stands unique in the history of human thought in that it denies the existence of a soul. According to the teaching of the Buddha, the idea of a soul is rooted in the false notion that the mortal self has some permanence and that it is not what it truly is, an aggregate of atoms; where the atoms have permanence, but the aggregate does not. This false belief in a permanent self produces harmful thoughts of me, mine, selfishness, desire, craving, attachment, hatred, ill-will, conceit, pride, egoism and other defilements, impurities and problems. It is the source of all the troubles in the world, from personal conflicts to wars between nations. In short, to this false view can be traced all the evil in the world.

For self-protection and out of the necessary conjugate of the concept of a permanent self, humans created the notion of God, an entity to adjudicate the disposition of this imaginary permanent self and to therefore, instill in humans a subjugational role to an imaginary entity in the living of their Lives. For these humans, the imaginary protection provided by this imaginary entity of their imaginary permanent self after the death of their bodies is worth subjugating the truth of their impermanence and the joy that comes from that truth in order to not be afraid in Life. Truth is traded for a feeling of safety; a safety from a threat that doesn’t exist. Homo Sapiens, then, are again unique among organisms: due their capacities for self awareness and abstract thought they can be afraid outside of the presence of an actual threat. No other organism has this unfortunate capacity. It is upon this human capacity to be afraid for the disposition of one’s imaginary permanent self that all religions are founded and all of the delusion and mental enslavement that they proffer is empowered.

What the Buddha realized was the truth of impermanence of all organisms, Homo Sapiens included, and through that realization, he realized liberation from baseless, irrational and imaginary fear. This is the essence of his enlightenment. This same enlightenment is available to all Homo Sapiens. The beautiful thing about such enlightenment is that the same capacity for abstract thought that serves to enslave the human mind with irrational fear over the disposition of one’s imaginary permanent self becomes the means of it’s emancipation through knowledge of the truth of one’s impermanence; and in that enlightenment, the mind that was previously one’s jailor becomes one’s liberator.

Having stated all of that, I offer to you the words of the Buddha on the subject of religious belief: “If religious belief inspires righteous conduct in one, then it is good for the individual and good for the community within which the individual lives, therefore it should be encouraged.” He also said: “Not all are ready in their current human life to comprehend truth.”

However, if one is ready to comprehend the truth of impermanence, one must also necessarily also recognizes that religions have no basis in reality; they are merely human constructs, designed to offer succor to those who find the truth of impermance even more fearsome than the truth of death.