Kendrick Sound JBL 4350 for music Bar

We're looking for JBL 4350 series for small 60-70 square meters music bar to use them as main PA. Main source is analog (vinyl), mostly 60s, 70s (Jazz, Funk, Soul, Latin ...) Since Kendrick Sound ship woldwide i'm looking forward for a pair of 4350 or bit smaller 4345/4346 for investor. I guess in Japan it would be normal to use such PA in the bar, but we're not in Japan.

need some help from experienced users:

- Anyone ever heard of 4350 series as music bar PA ?
- What would be a great moderate priced amp (tube or set) for 4350 ?
- And what is the optimal room size for 4350 ?
128x128chakster
I really like this comment about Line Magnetic Speakers:

"I must say that Line Magnetic must have a time machine. Looks like a Western Electric parts list from 1939. Frankenstein's lab has nothing on these guys."

LOL

original thread:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1345392221
Chakster, I never dealt with Kendrick Sound nor do I know what they change/modify as part of their refurbishing process, I only buy and sell speakers in original condition. I'm not sure if any of the setups I heard in Japan were original or from Kendrick Sound. In general I avoid buying anything moded, specially if its the wires or some of the crap sounding audiophile branded caps are involved. You should ask Kendrick what has been done to the speaker before purchasing.

The 4550 is only a bass cabinet for sound reinforcement or theater applications, not a speaker. You have to find out the condition and the horn/driver compliment before knowing what it is. In any case you should know that it only goes down to around 50hz, great if its enough for you otherwise you're going to need a subwoofer for it.
david

david
Here is the 4550 bass cabinet:
http://audio-heritage.jp/JBL/unit/4550.html

Well, any Kendrick Sound users here ?
Great article about sound systems at Jazz Cafe in Japan with pictures HERE: http://www.sakurasystems.com/jazzcafe.html

"There weren't any real live houses in Japan until the '80s. What we had instead were Jazz Kissa (Jazz Cafe), probably 30~40 of them in Tokyo only, each with a 3000~4000 collection of jazz LPs and an incredible audio system for that time. Most of them had JBLs (Olympus, Paragon, etc.), or Altec A-7, A-5. Smaller ones had JBL Lancer 101, JBL Nova, etc. "

"Those vintage JBLs, Altecs and Tannoys are rather narrow range (probably 50Hz~15kHz or so) and not as clean sounding as most of modern speakers, but they are very efficient and fast. For me, this "ease" of presentation is very important to get connected to the music, to feel the breath of the music."
This is the part I like in that article and feel the same when it comes to high end,

"People talk about "musical system" these days. Well, for me, there are two kinds of "musical system". One that connects you to the music so strongly that you forget about the gear and bath in the glory of music. The other that's totally boring as an audio system, so you just try to concentrate on whatever the music it's playing. Despite their shortcomings by today's standard, those systems at Jazz/Classical Cafe definitely belonged to the former. They weren't an all-around performer, like many of today's mainstream systems try to be. Mainstreamers are like an all "A" student for me. They do academic things well, but whether you want to become friends with them is a different story. Your best friend may not do so well at school and you may have to help him with homework sometimes, but he can be fun, joyous and thrilling to be with.

The sound of Jazz Cafe lives in my memory and it must be very much beautified by time. If I could visit one of them today, the impression might be a bit different. But it gives me a slightly different perspective when I listen to a system and when I think about audio. Audio is so closely tied to music, and music to life. I don't want it to be micro-managed just in the context of the current highend. Audio can be wider, deeper, richer, and more imaginative, than that."

david