More CD Player selection woes

I'm looking to replace the "weak link" in my system: A Denon DCD-1560 CD player. While its held its own over the years (being a 20-bit player and all), it is time for it to go.
I find my Well-Tempered Classic TT, EAR Phono Amp, and Grado cartridge to be my preferred setup, but I do want a CD player to come close to that sound. Of course, budget is all constraining so I need help deciding between a NEW Cambridge 840C; or one of those Chinese tube player; Cayin CDT 17A or Shanling etc.; or a USED/DEMO McIntosh MCD 201; or Meridian 208 (if I can find one).
Has anyone had experience with the Chinese models? How do they hold up?
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks
ebuzz
For what its worth, I've found a tubed DAC can be advantageous in terms of tailoring the resulting sound via use of different tubes rather than switching out entire players at much greater cost. The differences from tube to tube is really quite substantial, and it is not expensive to try different tubes. I like having that flexibility in controlling how things sound. Through different interconnects into the mix and you can have a lot of control on how things sound in the end rather than having to put all your eggs in on basket hoping it sounds the way you want.
Ebuzz's post is not as far off as some people might think.

As the former distributor of Opera Audio/Consonance products in the North American market, I can offer up my experience on their CD players. In fact, the CD players are among the main reasons for my throwing up my hands, and finally walking away. I don't want to say too much regarding the other Chinese companies, who I won't name specifically, beyond the information I obviously have as an insider is that my experience was totally par for the course. Coming from a background of producing MILSPEC components, I could not in good conscience continue on with a product with a failure rate on the level they did.

First, the full sized Droplet 5.0 (provided it uses a Philips laser head) is an incredible machine. In fact, I give it the ultimate recommendation, I use one myself. With the aforementioned Philips transport, the user should most likely be in good shape, though I have seen a few other inexcusable and unforgivable failures.

As for the rest of the lineup - the players using Sony transports, well, you've got far better odds in playing Russian Roulette. The failure rate of CD players I imported in 2007 exceeds 80%, and that number is more optimistic than you might think, as I've included the Droplet 5.0 (with Philips laser, a part which NEVER fails in my experience) in the total number. I once got a case of Sony transports in to use in CD player repairs. Fully 10 out of the 10 sent were defective. 10 out of 10! The company's response to my inquiry about how a company could not only ship out defect repair parts, but bat a thousand in doing so, the typical shoulder shrug and "Uh, yea, we've had some problems with those parts of late..." reaction.

What the Chinese do very well are chassis and casework. The materials and CNC milling are far ahead of what typically comes out of North America, Europe, and Japan. That, in my opinion, is where the comments like "built like a battleship" come from. But, just as you can't judge a book by its cover, the smart buyer should focus on what's inside, and it is there that the Chinese obviously fail.

Of the CD players I received in for repair since the spring, I have been able to successfully fix only two. As it stands, I have a half-dozen or more CD players waiting to be fixed right now. The company has sent me three shipments of repair parts since early summer, and each batch of them has proven incapable of correcting the problems, and thus, utterly worthless to me and the customers waiting on them. In all honesty, not being the importer any more, I really should not take on the burden, but I don't want to leave a customer in such a situation, so I'm waiting until things get right before completely cutting the cord.
Trelja. Very sorry your experience with an inferior made Chinese product has clouded your perception of what is available for purchase by discerning audiophiles. Making sweeping generalizations (at best) or displaying a personal bias against products because of place of origin and without having actually tested most of the products you disparage is unacceptable.

The Chinese own the electronics universe and yes they do build products that are unreliable and disposable. Just check out some of the major discount stores to get a sampling of unreliable planned obsolescence.

However, those manufactures that choose to work smartly and take advantage of what the Chinese offer can do very well. Companies such as Prima Luna and Raysonic built great sounding products that are reliable.

I own the Raysonic 128 and in some respects it sounds better than my Esoteric DV-50 (for redbook). It is without a doubt the most analog sounding CD player I have ever owned. And it gets played a lot. I also own the Shanling T-80and it is also reliable and musical, but clearly not in the league of the 128 or DV-50. I have also owned a number of Prima Luna pieces--- the Pre 3 and the Prologue 1. They both sounded excellent (not as good as my Wyetech) and were musically satisfying.

Manufacturing a product inevitably results in compromise. Therefore I suggest that one listen to what other actual owners have to say about the reliability of a product before you commit to purchasing. I know that there is a lot of crap products that are out there and it is inevitable that a lot of them are Chinese made products built to a specific price point. I certainly appreciate that you have experienced the negative side of things but many of us have also found great products at reasonable prices that exceed expectations.

We live in interesting times and as this discussion illustrates purchasing quality audio products isn't getting easier. Confidence in a product comes from many people having a long term positive experience with their audio gear. I guess I fall into that camp.
E.buzz. Listen to what actual owners have to say before you draw conclusions. Don't let someone else's agenda take the fun out of our hobby.

Michael
I have a Cambridge Audio 840C CD player for more than a year now. I brought it over NAD M5 CD/SACD, Rega Apollo, Sony ES-???? SACD Player, Music Hall CD25, Naim CD5i and a bunch of other CD players in that price range.

Cambridge Audio 840C is a bit analytical, with not a very large soundstage, but Cambridge Audio 840C is undoubtedly the best in that price range, and competes with players way above its price range. I have a tube preamp, so I do not find it that analytical, and it has integrated with my system very well. Also it has two Digital Inputs.
This certainly has turned into an interesting discussion on the merits of audio gear from various companies and countries, and I appreciate the education I'm getting from all of you.

Vinylrowe, you say that I should: "Listen to what actual owners have to say before you draw conclusions. Don't let someone else's agenda take the fun out of our hobby." I'm certainly doing that and appreciate and respect the expertise of all those who have lauded the merits of these Chinese players, but you also opine that: "Confidence in a product comes from many people having a long term positive experience with their audio gear."
The problem I have with the Chinese players is: for how long has that "positive experience" been? Have these players been around long enough to develop the track record for service etc., that the European and other players have established. The issue may be moot for me when it comes to the Raysonic because it’s a top loading player that will not fit into my rack. I won’t quit just yet on some of the others though.

I am, however, being drawn to the Italian Lector 0.6T and Audio Analogue Maestro player and am still considering the Cambridge player.