Does it make sense to "ignore low ball offers"?

Assuming the person wants to sell the item and is accepting offers (since he didn’t say the "price is firm") then why say "I will gladly ignore low ball offers" ?

Why not make a counteroffer to the low ball offer? Thats how cars, houses and most anything that doesn’t have a "firm" price is purchased.

If its because the seller doesn’t want to waste their time negotiating they should say so or simply grow-up a little bit and not get so easily offended by a low offer. Besides, a buyer has no idea what the seller is willing to accept unless you negotiate it.

I’ve sold and purchased a number items after negotiating from a low first offer.

128x128sbayne

"sorry, but no" or "sorry, but thanks for the offer"

I try to acknowledge.  You never know, they might come to their senses.

More than a few have comeback with better offers.

If others want to use their free time responding to lowball offers, then by all means do it. Personally, some offers a too low to merit a response and I find them somewhat insulting really. Then again, I always try to offer what I am selling slightly on the low end of the going rate and hope for a quick sale.

@kota1

+1! emphasis added !

@sbayne

(1) in 99% of circumstances, the lowball shot across the bow is just a harbinger of a crummy tire kicker trolling, …. with no tangible intention to actually buy it unless he stumbles across an uninformed seller making a mistake or desperate to sell fast in the extreme , …. = don’t waste your time and don’t feed the troll for these fairy tales .

(2) Buyer is now egregiously insulting Seller’s knowledge of fair and proper audio market prices and ignores all fair value decorum conversation = IMO negligible odds of every striking a deal. IMO this is a good reason to just block him out and remove him from every contacting you again which removes a habitual time waster from your orbit .

@sbayne 

Yes, I know people "ignore low balls". But why? Thats the point of the discussion

It shows an utter lack of respect toward the seller. You aren't Best Buy, you are just a seller trying to represent what you have to offer transparently at a fair price. It makes the entire transaction reek when someone starts with a lowball. It also shows that they are either dumb, disrespectful, or just sleezy. You also risk getting poor feedback on the transaction.

1/2 the time or more lowballers don't follow through anyhow, its a game for some of them just to see if they can get you to accept less. Don't waste your time.