How cam Morrow Audio keep offering 45%-65% discounts for trade-ups?

Not only that I get weekly emails about sales. Lately titled "Christmas in July".

I’ve done the trade-up a few times, but I’ve got to say, I can’t fathom how they can profit with discounts as huge as those.

Are they selling off used stuff as new?

Another thing, has anyone dissected a cable to see what's in it?

Ag insider logo xs@2xmpathic8

So...

@ Roxy and @ buellrider.

I first bought a pair of MA1 IC's a few yrs ago.

I bought another  pr which eventually  used for trade-up to MA2.

These were used with my Nak TA-3 until I decided I missed having tubes.

Then I need another pr so bought another MA2 which I now don't use bc I have MA3 x2 for my Jolida to Sony DVP cx995 and a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 which I switch to Topping E30 on occasion.

My Topping D3 is connected with Neutrik cables to my Yaqin MC 84 and some Amazon cables from the DVP.

There's not a lot of difference between the quality of sound from either my Vandersteen with Canare spkr bi-wire or B&W spkrs with MA SP4 when I switch back and forth between amps and vise versa.

( I will say the SP4 sound better than the SP3 I traded up.)

They sound best together because what one pr lacks, the other somewhat compensates.

The spkrs are all essentially rubbish anyway. I picked up the B&W DM 630 for $60, and the Vandy's for $300 a few yrs back.

Not damaged, but not great. 

As I was typing my reply this AM, the sun shone through the MA3's.

Not that I didn't already know this, but the wiring is about 14 gauge inside a mesh sleeve that's about 1/2" wide and flat.

I've always been curious about the construction

If anyone is interested in reproduction quality, buy a set and listen. You can always return them.

The advertising is slick, so once you plug 'em in, you might not be satisfied and opt for a more expensive version.

I never had them burned in and had them shipped right after they were constructed.

Maybe if I had, I'd be more impressed. I'm quite sure I don't have enough hrs on them bc I go weeks without listening at times.

One more thing. I'm deaf in my rt ear and 50% loss in my left with a very limited range of frequency, but I can hear quality. 

My experience says @carlsbad2 is spot on! I am not going to start listing the issues with build quality but I will say they induced horrible noise in my system.

I would be happy to give them to anyone willing to cover shipping (that is more than they are worth). I have one digital and I think 3 pair of interconnects. They will arrive just exactly as I received them UGLY!

Uh, the same way PS Audio does it- when you're the manufacturer and you control (and keep) all the margin and you set the "MSRP" at whatever number you can then there's ton's of built in margin to play with on trades/discounts etc. 

I do have a couple of good friends that own audio shops and cable mark ups are just anything else, 30-40 basis points, higher discounts on dealers that can buy larger amounts at ordering time. The reality is they have to keep the doors open to run a business, there are holding cost, marketing, setup, advice(take that with a grain of salt).  I buy both new and preowned as I am a gear guy so the Morrow cable owner does this for income let him do as he wants and buy or don’t buy but forums aren’t the place to knock capitalism as those of us that have jobs work for people that fund our paychecks so rightly deserve to make a profit.

I have Morrow MA4 balanced interconnects and was very happy with the improved sound in my system.  My comparisons are limited so I won't make any claims that they are the best cable ever.  I picked them up the last Black Friday sale which put the level of cable that I was interested in at a price point that I was willing to spend.

I did actually reach out to Mike via email to "challenge" his marketing strategy because I feel like it devalues the product.  The constant sales essentially set the value at the lower price.  Paying anything above 30-50% off is just a lack of patience.  Mike responded that a lot of customers like to buy things on sale so that's the strategy they have chosen to take.

I found it very interesting that my balanced MA4 cables cost exactly the same as the unbalanced, but have double the internal wires so clearly the material cost is insignificant to the price point.  I guess getting balanced cables on Black Friday sales is the best deal!