Question: Sub with Fs 54, but response remains above 95dB down to 27: How can I best build

I read a lot of stuff on here from guys a lot more experienced than I, so I'm hoping someone might know some answers. I've got a driver with free air Fs at 54 1w/1m, but free air response remains fairly even down to 27Hz above 95dB, and my question is how effectively can I extend response down to 27? And if so, with what type of cabinet would you recommend? Bass reflex, passive radiators, corner horn,...? What would prevent the cabinet from going down to 27? What would I have to do to make the cabinet reach below 27, to 23-25? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.

hsbrock

Thanks for posting the T/S parameters, @hsbrock .

You might try 7 cubic feet net internal volume tuned to about 24 Hz. This plus some boundary reinforcement should get you down to 21 Hz ballpark in-room.

@audiokinesis Thank you!  And so... are you telling me that, given that the speaker has good response all the way down to 27 Hz, and that IF the right cabinet is designed, it can be possible to bring a speaker's performance all the way down to those lower frequencies even if the Fs is 54Hz?  

@hsbrock I didn't use that 27 Hz figure; I just used the T/S parameters and a modelling program and estimated the boundary reinforcement from placement in or near a corner.  

I don't claim my suggestion is perfect, but it should be "in the ballpark" unless your room is unusually large and/or you have an open floorplan wherein your listening room is open into other rooms.  If such is the case, then my assumptions are incorrect. 

You mentioned using a corner hence my assumptions about boundary reinforcement, but I probably should have asked about your room.

Duke

@audiokinesis Duke, that's exactly what I intend to do - the room is of medium size and self contained, and my hope to gain 6dB with the corner-horn, so your analysis is spot on. And my incredulity is unfounded? That is, it is possible to get good response down into the 20s as long as the driver goes there, even though the Fs is so much higher?