DAC UPGRADE QUESTION

I currently have the following system:

1. Martin Logan 11A impressions hybrid-subwoofer with electrostatic panels.

2. Conrad Johnson Classic 62 power amp-60 watts per channel (not the SE )

3. Chord Qtest DAC

4. Lumin U2 mini streamer

Adding the Lumin and streaming with Qobuz has improved the sound immensely from my Cary CD player being used as a transport and the Qtest DAC.

The Qtest Dac was around $2000.00. 

Looking for upgrade suggestions as thinking I can improve my sound further with a better sounding DAC.

Thank you. 

128x128kjl1065

Here’s a used Bricasti M3 for $3200. I would exercise extreme caution with a seller who has 0 feedback. Phone conversations , additional pictures proving he owns the DAC, etc. but worth checking out.

From my experience, the M3 is a step up from the Qutest, checks all the boxes for clarity, natural tone, not analytical sounding and very musical and engaging. Solid design and build with awesome power supply  

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649998938-bricasti-m3-dac-mdx-111-with-remote/

I have the Lumin U2 mini and used the Qutest DAc. It was an amazing combo for the money. I moved the Qutest to a different system and got a Holo May KTE DAc and it really elevated the sound. if you can get $1500 for you Qutest plus $3000 your in the range of the Holo MaY. 

I ended up adding an mscaler to my system where the Qutest is and now that’s a beautiful sounding combo too. Now need to upgrade my Node 130 to a Lumin or Auralic streamer. 

A few I’ve been considering that seem to hit well above their retail price…

Okto dac 8 - interesting approach in optimizing a Sabre chip, also unique in their output stage

Gustard R or A26

Ladder Schuman

Have to say that anyone putting down any/all Topping DAC offerings is sadly mistaken. Although, I do agree the D90 is rather not right in the midrange. But currently using a D70s that sounds pretty damned wonderful. Really nice output stage on that one. It compares favorably against a Denafrips Pontus II. Has a surprisingly similar presentation to that of ladder dacs in general. Would say the Pontus still wins it out, but not by a very wide margin (heard each in the same system).

Try the Wyred4sound 10th anniversary DAC, it's $4,500 US and it's beaten dacs four times the price from Chord, COS 1, SIM audio Bricasti, would love to put it up against the way overpriced DCS and MSB DACs, it wouldn't shock me if it was as good or close to those way overpriced DACs, $80,000 that's a joke. one of the reviewers put it up against his VPI turntable with a $5,000 Japanese cartridge and he said it was every bit as analog sounding that's what made me try it and I never returned it, they also give you a 30-day money-back guarantee trial period.

Try the Wyred4sound 10th anniversary DAC, it's $4,500 US and it's beaten dacs four times the price from Chord, COS 1, SIM audio Bricasti, would love to put it up against the way overpriced DCS and MSB DACs, it wouldn't shock me if it was as good or close to those way overpriced DACs, $80,000 that's a joke. one of the reviewers put it up against his VPI turntable with a $5,000 Japanese cartridge and he said it was every bit as analog sounding that's what made me try it and I never returned it, they also give you a 30-day money-back guarantee trial period.