Pls help me decide Pass Labs X250.8 or Luxman M900u

I want to upgrade my 2 channel audio.  I have a 7.2.4 Home Theater system I am in the process of upgrading. Recently I upgraded my old B&W N805 / HTM2 to the 803D4 / HT81D4 and relegated my N805’s to Surround duty (and they excel in this roll!)

I have been driving (due to age of system) with a Pass Labs X5, which I will keep for surrounds and center on HT , but I want to upgrade my 2 Channel Audio.  I currently am trying to decide between the PassLabs X250.8 and the  Luxman M900u.  As these B&W’s can dip down below 2ohms I want to make sure I buy an amp which will bring out the best in my system and handle these dips. I will also be buying a Tube Preamp with HT Bypass -(looking for a used VAC Signature Mk5 SE or the new Backert Rhumba Extreme 1.4)

Anyone with experience with either of these amps and B&W 800’s would be great to hear from.

Thx!

garynospamm

I have heard the Luxman u and must agree would not be a good match with the speakers. Having owned a X350 for nearly a decade I would find it hard to believe it would show any negative sonic qualities because of the impedance. However, at least since I like more musical vs detailed / slam amps I would look at Pass XA.

Do not look at the XA series of Pass. Yes, they are warmer and fantastic.

However, if you look at measurements, they don’t do quite as well at lower impedances.

But they are fantastic if your speakers’ s minimum impedance is 4 ohms or greater.

I’d take a look at the newer and highly-regarded GaN amps from AGD and Atma-Sphere.  A lot of people are putting these in the “end-game” amp category.  Not only are they getting top marks for sonics, they’re upgradeable as technology improves going forward, which is pretty nice.  Neither quotes power below 4 Ohms so that’d be something to look into given your speakers I’d think.  Just another option, and best of luck.