Shipping Heavy Speakers: Freight of FedEx

Considering a shipment of speakers from Sacramento to Phoenix. Each speaker weighs ~ 100 lbs and packed in original box, original packing material. Boxes and materials in good shape.

Went to UShip.com for a freight quote and the rate is the same as FedEx Ground ~$200.

What method of shipping would you choose?
stevensctt
"Went to UShip.com for a freight quote and the rate is the same as FedEx Ground ~$200.

What method of shipping would you choose?"

It really depends on what it is. If the speakers are rare or ultra expensive, or something else that makes it really bad for you is something happens, drive them yourself. If the box its too big, make 2 trips if you have to.

If its something replaceable, or easily valued, ship them. I would use FedEx ground, not because they are so good and careful, but because I’ve had a few claims with them over the years, and they have always paid for what ever the damage was. If the speakers are something you sold here or on a place like ebay, there's not too much to worry about. You'll have proof of what the items sold for because you can reference the actual listing. You'll have proof of payment from paypal, or something like it. If you get a check, just photo copy it. Then, just do a thorough job filling out the shipping papers. Don't over or under value anything, and just put as much details down as you can, like serial and model numbers. So, if something does happen, you'll be able to prove there was a listing of some sort that resulted in a transaction, proof of payment, accurate valuation on the papers and maybe retail price conformation from the manufacturer, it doesn't leave them any reason to deny the claim. The problems begin when people lie to get more money for something, or if the item is very difficult to value, like a vintage component.
Most shippers who have experienced damage with FedEx, UPS, and USPS, have repeatedly stated these companies policy is to deny claims.
"02-05-15: Twb2
Most shippers who have experienced damage with FedEx, UPS, and USPS, have repeatedly stated these companies policy is to deny claims."

I can only go by the dealings that I've had. But when someone tells you their claim was denied for no reason, that may not always be the case. Who knows what really happened? I won't tell anyone what to do, but if you do all the stuff I listed in my first post, I think they would probably pay the claim.

But there is one more important thing that I forgot to put in my first post. If you are the seller, NEVER refund payment to the buyer before the matter gets resolved. That may sound like its something dishonest, but its not. In the event of a claim, you need the buyer to work with the shipping company. If they won't cooperate with the shipper, they won't pay the claim. The buyer has to fill out some claim forms and speak to an adjuster, and maybe even bring the items in. If they do pay a claim, the item in question now belongs to the shipping company. They bought it, and they always want it. So, where I'm going with all this is, if you issue a refund on an item that was damaged in shipping before the company pays the claim, there's a very slim chance that the buyer will follow through with all the necessary steps. At that point, the buyer has no incentive to help you with the claim because they already got the money and could care less.
I worked shipping /receiving for a while recently. Pbnaudio ,good advice! Also may want to make sure speaker boxes are centered on the pallet ( nothing hanging over or to close to edges of pallet) to keep from having another pallet or machinery ,boxes,,,, from hitting your speakers while whoever is loading unloading the truck or moving pallet in ware house. Make sure if possible to cover the speaker boxes with additional protection ,,cardboard ,corner protectors ,,,as well as possible.Make sure they put plenty of ,Do Not Double Stack , and,Fragile stickers on all sides and on top of pallet. Make sure the boxes are held down very good ,as to not slide off ,over the edge of the pallet. Assume the pallet will be moved many times with fork lift as well as manual jacks.Of douse use a good sturdy pallet,,no damaged or flimsy pallets .