Mac Mini As A Streaming Source

I have been looking to add a digital streaming source to my sound system and so am VERY new to this process.  But, from what I see the variety is mind boggling and there is no complete device out there that would do CD/SACD playback, plus all available music streaming apps, plus Roon.

I use apple music for high res/lossless streaming on my phone, especially their new classical service as that is my primary listening, so compatibility with this app is mandatory.  This, however, seems to eliminate every single digital streamer out there.  But, am I missing something?

So, what are the thoughts on using a mac mini for a dedicated source, linked to a DAC?  I can put all of the streaming apps there, and install Roon there, and put my existing CD ripped files on the hard drive. Connect to the internet over wifi.

What output cable would I use to connect to the internal DAC on my Mark Levinsion 585.5?

Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards?

The only thing missing would be CD playback, but could that be accomplished using  a DVD/Blu Ray reader attached to the Mac?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

gwhphoto

My first MacIntosh experience was in 1984 with the Apple Classic and external floppy disc drive! I was building from sine waves, attack rate, fall rate, percussion rate, etc… and interfacing them with polyphonic and monophonic keyboards such as the MOOG. Apple was great for that and I’ve been a loyal Mac customer ever since. So it pains me a little to say this but I would try finding a dedicated renderer over using a Mac Mini. Also in my opinion, a lap top running off of a battery while using Audirvāna is better than using a Mac Mini. When I bought my first DAC in 2011, I used a Mac Mini with Audirvāna and it sounded excellent but when I bought my first renderer, I got spoiled. I went from the Bryston BDP Pi, which sounded really good to their flagship BDP 3 which is reference quality and far better than anything I used in the past. I prefer using the native to Bryston Manic Moose software over using ROON, because it sounds so much better. However, if you have to use a Mac Mini, Uptone Audio offers a Mac Mini modification with upgraded power supply for about $600.00 and that may be perfectly fine. I’ve never heard it but I use their ISO Regen reclocker and Linear Power Supply to great satisfaction so it might be worth the six hundred dollars to try. Anyway, good luck!

Gwhphoto,

I will only speak for my experience. I tried streaming using a laptop, and tried a lot of recommendations from here to improve the SQ…..ultimately I was never satisfied. Full transparency, I am adequate with computers, but by no means an expert.

I bought and installed a Bluesound Node 130 $599, and that did yield positive improvement. I upgraded the USB cable $180, and that helped even more. I then installed an LHY linear power supply $279, and that was even better. Ultimately bought and installed a Denafrips Iris DDC $500, and output I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC), and I now have what I feel is a really good set up for $1,500.

That being said I am saving up for a new streamer from the usual suspects (Aurender, Innuous, Lumin, maybe test a Eversolo DMP-A6), and will replace the current set up at some point. That however will be a $5,000 to $7,000 upgrade, unless the Eversolo somehow punched WAY above it’s weight 

That’s the thing, how much are we comfortable spending in order to gain an increase in sound quality?

I spent about $8k the Aqua Formula DAC and love it. It really sounds great. Now, people tell me I should not stream from a Mac Mini but have a dedicated streamer.

Maybe they’re right, I don’t know. I’d like to be able to trial the LinQ streamer.

What do people think about the workaround for Roon using HQPlayer which is used in the LinQ?

larrykell,

I don't think anyone is telling you what you should do, I think we are sharing our experiences, the ultimate decision is what you think sounds best. Truthfully I could probably be happy with my current Node 130 set up for a long time, however I have the means to improve my system over time.....and am always searching for better sound.

@vthokie83 Improving sound over time, is for me what this hobby is all about. It’s definitely a marathon and not a sprint. Given that we’re currently living in a digital renaissance and digital technology is changing so rapidly, we all have to adjust to change. I will say that price point seems to be all over the place. Good value is out there but in a sea of marketing where companies foremost strive to maximize their dividends. For this reason, I look for improvements that provide high end results at affordable prices given the possibility that what I buy today could become antiquated five years from now. I’m just surprised that no one has yet engineered a way to make personal computers compete with the best streamers/renderers when it comes to sound quality.