What does it take to be a die hard Beatles fan?

I am the first to admit that I am a Beatles fan. And might even say that I am die hard. A recent film and recent album has me questioning the latter.

Peter Jackson's film "Get Back" and the 2022 "de-mixed" release of "Revolver" were both somewhat over the top for even a long time Beatles fan.

I had difficulty getting through both the film and the album.

Yes, it was pretty cool to get an inside look at the prep for the famous rooftop concert. But it became tedious to listen to all the "bla bla" in the studio and the endless fiddling of non Beatles songs.

Not to mention all that time "practicing" in the studio to come up with 3 or 4 songs.

And it was cool to hear the de-mixed versions of Revolver material, but 63 tracks with much relatively meaningless stuff took me 2 days to get through. 

I certainly can appreciate the attraction to the behind the scenes things.

But neither the film or the album gave me much insight into who these guys are were/are.

The film was especially disappointing.

mglik

So, you watched them bake a cake without Julia Child's doing the dialog.  Sorry it was boring.  Although the cake was really good. 

To take them as peaking at a point or whatever, I can't go there.  To me they were always evolving.  Their ability at convergence was second to none.  They layered solo's better than anyone.  Their vocals, unbelievable.  Individual ability, I don't think any of them could read music but they all contributed beyond so many others.  Look at some of Ringo's solos (microphone is a suitcase), Paul's bass on Sun King, George was as good or better than any lead guitar, I loved the sitar and the desire to go beyond a standard western beat and John's poetry was on par with Morrison, Keats, Byrne or Lewis Carroll (Jabberwocky a personal favorite). 

At the end there was divergence.  That divergence was its own and I love it.  Everyone wanted them back together.  That could only happen as their evolution allowed.  Free as a bird, to me was like watching grand great elephants coming in to mourn the loss of one of their great ones.  We had some convergence, it was nice. 

Now, lets talk about some "other" bands.  Did their sound evolve?  The Beach Boys, perhaps.  The Stones, nope.  Bruce, nope.  Name another band that evolved as much.  I have to go to Dave Brubeck and his differing time signatures. 

In summary I am thankful for the Beatles and all they did.  They had an alien probe up them 24/7.  This was a picture into their daily in a bakery making bread.  It's okay.  I would love to see this for Beethoven, but I guess that's not possible. 

Me, I would prefer to just enjoy and not worry too much about an extra added whatever.  Be happy, peace and love. 

Q: What could possible support such a statement?

A: A listen to Dave Edmunds, Albert Lee, Ry Cooder, Richard Thompson, and dozens of other better guitarists. Prior to Sgt. Pepper Harrison was a favorite of mine, his solo in "Nowhere Man" is in my all-time top 10 (even though it is very similar to James Burton’s in Ricky Nelson’s "Young World", another favorite of mine). He was never again that good, and in numerous interviews talked about not even picking up a guitar for years.

Unlike some, I don’t mind others having an opinion divergent from mine. It’s all about what we listen for in music. Why should we expect to agree on everything? For some reason I admit to not understanding, people become very defensive when it comes to The damn Beatles.

And with that final comment (made in violation of my vow to rpeluso), I bid you all adieu. I have obviously overstayed my welcome. ;-)

@nakam I included “I Should Have Known Better” from A Hard Day’s Night.  
“This Boy,” which I included, was released just 2 months prior (only 1 month prior in the US) to the A Hard Day’s Night sessions.  
“If I Fell” from A Hard Day’s Night is one of my all-time favorite Beatles/John songs, but Paul wrote the absolutely brilliant stand-alone intro section (a significant contribution, which Paul referred to as a ‘preamble’) so I didn’t count that one as a full-on “John song.”  

“Any Time at All” is another great John song off that LP, but Paul wrote the really cool instrumental bridge section, so I didn’t count that one either.
I suppose I should have included John’s “A Hard Day’s Night.”  
Personally, that’s never been a song I was particularly smitten with.  
I’m pretty lukewarm towards “You Can’t Do That” (similar song to the title track) but I should have included that one too.
John’s A Hard Day’s Night song “Tell Me Why” is pretty good.  
I probably should have thrown that one in there too.

@bdp24 You didn’t answer the question.
I’ll ask it another way:
how can playing sitar “ruin” a guitar player’s guitar-playing ability?