Why are People Dumping their Audio Research Gear and What Does it Say about them?

Title says it all. Either you like it and it sounds good or not. What does it say about dealers that are dumping their demos? 

Ag insider logo xs@2xstephens770

Audio Research has been around since 1970, and managed to weather every economic storm we’ve seen in the United States since then. I can’t speak to the company’s newer gear because I have never heard it. However, years ago I owned an ARC D70MKII and an SP3 preamplifier. They sounded great, were well made, and as tube gear goes, reliable. As I recall, their circuit designs were straight forward, which made them fairly easy to repair. Not sure about parts availability these days though; especially with Covid related supply chain issues.

Some tough decisions arise:

Dealers are about BUSINESS. Clearing out ARC now rather than later is probably good business. Not to mention, it makes space for other available equipment in their showrooms.

I wonder about warranty coverage:

recently purchased still within warranty period

current demos (demos are like open box) initial sales date usually gets full warranty from that date. Promises might not be kept by new ARC owners if that occurs.

buy NOS now? buy NOS later?

Existing ARC Owner: IF you were thinking you might go for something else before the announcement: soon or after/if inflation calms down, then what?

It’s getting old, will there be authorized service? Parts?

IF you want max resale price, now or wait till market might get flooded with ARC, much better/newer/less use than yours?

btw, Steve at VAS has some nice ARC pieces he will sell (if you ask him, he doesn’t advertise them). I wonder what he thinks.

Same people that trade in their car before the warranty expires. they’ve always been around and always will. They have their place in the economy.

Now a dealer is a different story.  If they have made the decision to move to a new manufacturer, the old stuff gets reduced.

--Jerry

I remember when Sonic Frontiers was going away, I had just bought much of their top of the line equipment and I didn't know if they were going to bought out or just close their doors. My Sonic Frontiers equipment was exceptional, and I kept it and upgraded all of it over the next 25 years. 

When I was looking to replace my SF equipment I wanted something just as neutral in tube equipment, I now I have a REF 6SE, Am I worried, no. does it sound spectacular, yes! Will I hold on to this preamp for another 25 years, probably not I am not sure I will live that long.

But I do wish AR the best, I hope they survive this turmoil and come out even stronger.

If you were a dealer is there any certainty that under the renewed ARC you would continue to be a dealer?  If they really don't know the answer, then they should reduce their inventory now rather than later.  And that's assuming they assume ARC will survive.  This has nothing to do with how great the ARC products sound.