Suggestions for Phono Preamp

I'm interested in a decent phono preamp in the $1,000 area code (plus or minus a few hundred) for my Rega Planar 3 and I have a dynavector 20x2l mc cartridge to work with a tube amp which has both rca and xlr inputs. 

Here's the thing. I really don't like those tiny switches, especially when you have to open the preamp to get to them. Also, I hear that it is best to play around with the gain but how do you do that if changing the settings is a pain in the rear?

There are some preamps with the knobs for settings but they almost always are in the back and, again, that drives me crazy. Why can't the settings be in the front so you can easily access them and make changes/adjustments so you can actually hear differences? 

Anyhow, if anyone has suggestions, I'd much appreciate it.

dz13

Decision made.

It was between a used Don Sachs Phono Stage, Hagerman Bugle MC, and a PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp. I chose the latter. 

The Hagerman and the PS Audio were new and the Sachs was used. They were all about the same price. Reviews of all 3 were good and maybe even stellar for the PS Audio. The Sachs was very intriguing especially with the Sachs’ integrated I have. I’ve seen some Audiogon members say that the Hagerman and the Sachs were pretty close. That means that the Hagerman beats out the Sachs since it would be new and it has the dials I wanted in front. The Sachs was set up fairly easy but the plus goes to the Trumpet.

The PS Audio, new, is twice the price of the Sachs and the Hagerman, and yet I was able to get it at about 1/2 price new with warranty. I am assuming it may be a step up or at least it is a quiet well performing phono preamp that is future proof and I won’t be spending money on tubes which I tend to do with all my tube equipment. I’m not as concerned with a tube phono preamp since the amp is tube. The other bonus is that the PS Audio you can use the remote(!) for the loading and gain settings. Even easier than a front dial. No more getting up or moving from the chair! (just being silly -- I know that once the settings are locked in, you don’t really have to mess with them again until you change cartridges). Easy peasy.

Thanks everyone for their input as well as other threads where these phono preamps were discussed. If anyone wants to know where you can get this phono stage at this price (because there are more), throw me a line though we have to talk outside of Audiogon as they have some rules about this.

yeah, 3K for the Stellar is not cheap, but I hope it's worth it (or the discounted $ you paid)

'cept I won't know because I won't hear the other ones. Research and faith. Research and faith.

@dz13 

Congrats! Good luck with the PS Audio Stellar. Darrin Myers, who designed the Stellar Phono recently left PS Audio for Parasound, great engineer, and it seems PS Audio is liquidating their stock of this preamp, and assume they have no plan to continue its development. Thus the reason to get a very good deal on it. That said, I'm sure PS Audio will stand behind it, and will gladly help you with any issues you may have.

I'm sure it will add a lot to your system.

@bkeske Thanks. The phono stage is still full price on PS Audio's own website and other places. The dealer I am buying from, out of Canada on the Canuck Audio Mart, has offered similar discounts on other PS Audio gear.