Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

I have been using these with good results.

Be careful to install these in the correct way. They have a white band on one end. This is the (+) positive end. There is also a + sign however it is very hard to see.

close

All the Left R6 are in parallel and all the right R6 are in parallel so I make sure I measure each one as I install them as if you create a short you would have no way to figure out which one of the 4 is shorted.

Measure using the diode setting on your meter. Plus to the TP in between the opamps (ground). negative to one side of the cap then the other side. One side will show short to ground the other will show a resistance. The resistance should be the same on all R6’s both right and left. It would be a good idea to see what this is before you start.

Also if you are changing the transformers it’s a good time to remove them before you start on the VOCM mod as it gives you more room to work.

Below are the 8 locations to install the caps.

Remember these mods are done at your own risk. I have heard of members trashing there analog board and needing to pay for a replacement $$$$

Placed the newly upgraded PS Audio DSD MKI DAC, which I sent to JK Richards to do the mods, into my system at around 6 pm yesterday evening after the system had been unplugged for two weeks and was pleasantly surprised how good the music flowing from it sounded. Normally my system remains turned on and in standby at all times, but even then, it takes at least 30 minutes to an hour of playing music before the sound really starts to gel to the point where I get lost in the music. Yesterday I was held captive immediately and remained affixed in my listening chair for 4 hours straight as I went through my music collection as if hearing these silver discs for the first time. The PS Audio MKI DAC was no slouch to start with, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to music through it, but it’s an entirely new and more refined DAC now.

The top end is more detailed while also sounding smoother and more delicate. Cymbals have more shimmer and sparkle, and their presence lingers longer as the sound decays into a blacker background. The midrange and vocals sound absolutely stunning and to die for! Again the lower noise floor reveals subtle inflections in the vocals that were previously obscured, further suspending my disbelief.

The bass now digs deeper and is more controlled and articulate. The foundation of the music has more drive and bass lines are easy to follow now. I also noticed I don’t need to listen as loud in order to get the bass to come alive and really boogie. Before when listening at lower levels the bass never really had the presence and punch it did when turned up louder. Now even at much lower levels everything including the bass sounds prefectly balanced.

I can say without hesitation, this is the best bang for the buck upgrade I’ve ever made.

Agree with above post as it is almost exactly how I would describe the upgrade. I can attest to the massive enhancement of the DSD Mk1 after the APS transformers, VOCM mod, and I2s input shorting plug on unused input.

I had @richardselectronics do the work on the unit. Quick turnaround.

Huge soundstage, and control with detail and presence.

The Bass response is deep and defined.

If you have a DSD1, this is a no brainer. It is then an endgame DAC.

I have had a lot of separate DACs and high end source units with modded DACs from a lot of the usual vendors here in last 20 years.

All good, but this is another level totally for the price people blow on cables here.