If it sounds 'great', everything is ok?

G'day to all

Given that the listener has at least a good average hearing: If the sound quality from a record sounds 'great' to his ears, the various settings of the tone arm and cartridge (VTF, etc.) are correctly set.

Right or wrong?

Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers, eagledriver

128x128eagledriver_22

@dweller 

Ha! I have a habit of touching my drivers as I occasionally walk by my speakers that have built-in powered sub woofers  One night I just wasn't getting the magic out of my stereo rig and walked by one of my tower speakers, touched the woofer and sure enough, not working!! Had it repaired and now back in the magic

lewm

I also finalize by ear, using my favorite CD and LP versions of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_in_San_Francisco

CD version 1st; side 2, last 2 tracks: all 3 guitarists play, strong L/C/R separation.

Now LP: same tracks: refine AntiSkate if/as needed to move center guitar l or r to be centered, also hear balance of l and r guitars, also hear balance of audience cheers

Side 1
No. Title Performers Length
1. "Mediterranean Sundance/Río Ancho" (Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucía) Paco de Lucía (left channel) and Al Di Meola (right channel) 11:25
2. "Short Tales of the Black Forest" (Chick Corea) John McLaughlin (left channel) and Al Di Meola (right channel) 8:39
Side 2
No. Title ... Length
3. "Frevo Rasgado" (Egberto Gismonti) John McLaughlin (left channel) and Paco de Lucía (right channel) 7:54
4. "Fantasia Suite" (Al Di Meola) Paco de Lucía (left channel), John McLaughlin (middle channel) and Al Di Meola (right channel) 8:41
5. "Guardian Angel" (John McLaughlin) Paco de Lucía (left channel), John McLaughlin (middle channel) and Al Di Meola (right channel) 4:00

I've not noticed that AS has much affect on the apparent L to R location of images on an LP, but I confess I never paid much attention to that when setting AS, because imaging is more about azimuth adjustment, in my mind.  No argument here.