TAS Recommended CD Tweak….

In The August issue of The Absolute Sound, RH gives a glowing review of a product from Digital Systems & Solutions – “UltraBit Platinum Optical Impedance Matching Disc Treatment System.” According to RH, he was floored and, “….This wasn’t a subtle difference; there was a wholesale increase in apparent resolution, space, clarity, soundstage dimensions, and vividness.”
Apparently, this is a liquid solution that is applied to CDs and DVDs ($65/bottle).

Regardless of the whole “advertising thing,” I don’t believe someone like RH would put his reputation on the line by giving a bogus review. I wonder what, “This wasn’t a subtle difference…” means to the average person’s ears?

Also, in the same article, RH makes the statement, “…Similarly, it’s incontrovertible that a CD-R burned from a CD sounds better than the original CD.” I did not know this. Have any of you come to the same conclusion?
2chnlben
I would have to agree with Eldartford that before and after bit by bit comparison would answer the question. I would not be surprised if it did make a change.

Surface texture (or polish) should make a difference in the refraction properties of the whole disc. Although the CD surface looks very polished, there is a measurable texture or finish to the surface. This treatment could "theoretically" reduce that texture or further smooth the finish and allow for less reading error.

Also polycarbonates and acrylics will absorb molecules, water/O2/CO2 etc. So again it is "theoretically" possible that the solutions are altering the base properties of the optical layers.

Both optical clarity and surface finish are easily measured, (with lasers no less) hence, the manufacturer would have no trouble establishing a claim on that basis, if true.

But hey, I am a Package Designer, so what the heck do I know. I can count on one hand the number of check sum errors that have shown up optically reading untreated storage media over and over again.

Jim S.
The last thing I pray for before going night night is the advent of a new audio magazine, "Double-Blind HiFi," dedicated to discovering whether people hear the differences they claim to hear. Silver vs. copper, wet cds vs. dry cds, 1k cables vs. $10 cables, etc... I don't doubt I'd be surprised from time to time, but I suspect that most of the time my suspicions would be supported. Included in prayer is the reintroduction of the pillory for exposed charlatans, all of whom would be forced to listen to Britney Spears on a tape loop through a Lloyds Landau all-in-one stereo until they repent.
The above postings thus far do not include anyone who has actually tried the stuff.
So here goes... (try to hold back the negative creative comments), I am only trying to give my take on the actual use of this product.

I have tried the ultra bit ,and it is great! Works so good that I wont play a CD now unless it has been treated.

The soundstage is wider, the bass deeper,tighter and the treble is more extended. Plus the discs are super shiny.
I dont understand the impedence thing , but the discs are definitly improved after treating.

Lately, I have been making compilations of artists onto CDR's. I treat both the original and CDR before copying. The CDR copy comes out outstanding!.

I am about 1/3 to 1/2 way thru a bottle and I have done maybe 60 Cd's.
The bottle will never do the 500 CD's as claimed.
Tell you what Ozzy, if the price is OK I will get some and try it and report back. Fair?