Stupid Asking Prices- Why Don't Sellers Read Audiogon The Blue Book First?

I’m amazed at the prices most people ask for used equipment. I frequently see 15 year old tube gear with 2000 or so hours on the valves offered for sale at insane-nobody-is-that-stupid prices. Frequently the seller lists the original retail price of the item in the ad then asks 1/2 of that- imagining that it must surely be worth at least 1/2 of retail right?

I’m perplexed as to why a seller does not consider the reliable Audiogon Blue Book as a guide, and consider the condition of the gear as a factor in resale value.

I have also seen sellers refuse an at market offer and say "for that price I’ll just put it in my storage place" while it further depreciates.

Is it that most guys with high end gear are rich enough to ignore the value of moving money because their sense of value is offended?

Asking for a friend......😎

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xyesiam_a_pirate

Don't say sellers are stupid.  Look up the price over Audiogon Bluebook yourself.  The pricing information is hardly available even for popular models.

Let's turn this question around and ask why buyers of used equipment think they should be able to pay less than 50 cents on the dollar because it's "used".  Like this is some magic word that suddenly makes everything worth pennies?  If I paid $15,000 for a pair of speakers that will last for 30 years, and they are flawless after 2 years, they are suddenly only worth $7000 because they are "used"?  Yes lots of sellers are asking too much, but no more than lots of buyers who are offering insultingly low values.  IMHO  The correct selling price is what you are able to get for something. I always wait until someone sees the same value I do.  

When evaluating purchases of vintage tube and SS gear, I have found the agon blue book to drastically understate FMV if you base FMV on the prices willing participants buy and sell gear for at places like audio mart, eBay, audioclassics, etc. 

lol

fair market value, like good sound, and tasty food -- exist entirely in the minds of the beholder

+1 @jjss49 

The idea that it's greed or stupidity, etc., is laughable. How can we possibly read the motivations of a seller? Maybe it's a starting bid, right?

I'd never pay for the Blue Book when HiFi shark can show me a very long history of item sales -- not what they *should* be priced at, but what historically they have sold for.

Only when the item fails to sell, then we can call it "overpriced."