Speakers and amplifiers show audiophiles are confused.

An audiophile buys a pair of speakers for $50K or $100K then asks what amps make them sound best. That’s about as smart as marrying a girl without knowing her personality. What are the specs that will insure your expensive new speakers and amps will work optimality with each other? There’s got to be an app for that, well no there isn’t because there are too many variables and companies don’t present their specs in a standard ways. Why is it that speaker and amplifier manufactures don’t recommend specific amps for their speakers? Beyond power, impedance, and making your own crossovers how do you choose amplifiers to get all the potential out of your speakers?

128x128donavabdear

@dedobot Music is emotional but can you think of any other hobby that so much money is spent on guesses. At least in gambling you might get a payoff. 

Manufactured are simply taking advantage of audiophiles, could be that the super cheep audio equipment coming in from China may change the culture between manufacturer and buyers.

Manufactured are simply taking advantage of audiophiles

No, you are not a victim. You jumped into this hobby and figured your pro chops would transfer quickly, they didn't. No one took advantage of you (accept maybe that killer speaker salesman who sold you passive speakers, which you already knew weren't as good as actives). Don't slime the industry because you didn't know there was a learning curve. 

BTW, look forward to hearing your adventures when you get back from Axpona.

spending a zillion dollars means better equipment. Because once the audiophile handed the money over, s/he is attached to the idea that the money equaled sound quality. It's in the contract. In many ways, it's like a painting. The more expansive it is, the more valuable it is to its owner. Perception-wise, that is.

Because once the audiophile handed the money over, s/he is attached to the idea that the money equaled sound quality.

I haven't noticed that on this forum, most members seem to advocate auditioning equipment using 30-60 day return policies. I do agree that people have biases re: equipment (tube vs solid state, etc). I have also noticed a passion among the DIY crowd to upgrade vintage or inexpensive gear. 

right, I was speaking hypothetically, in the 100K speaker world. It’s a theory, like with any luxury item. A Lamborghini is worth x because people agree on it