Thinking of Magnepan ... finally!

Until recently, most of my amps have been tube-based with the exception of a few great SS integrateds thrown into the mix for fun. That's probably the main reason I have stayed away from Magnepans (or other speakers of its ilk) thus far. Now that I have an Aavik U-280 integrated amp that can do 300 watts @ 8 ohms and doubles to 600 @ 4, I would love to scratch that itch finally. Keep in mind that I do not intend to get rid of my other speakers (Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene, Harbeth SHL5+, Fritz Carrera BE) since I love them all for different reasons. The Magnepans will be rotated in the main listening room with Joseph Audio Perspectives. One thing I like about Maggies is that they are relatively lightweight so I can move them to the closet without breaking my back when not in rotation.

Since I've never owned Magnepans before, I have a ton of questions and doubts. So here we go ...

Bass (or the lack thereof) -- I've been told that the Magnepans are very light on bass and definitely require at least on subwoofer. Is this true in all cases? Anyone using them without subs and happy with the performance? TBH, I really would prefer that I don't use subs but not set in stone for sure.

Breathing Room -- my room is 20' x 15' with 12 foot ceilings. The speakers will be placed along the short wall (15'). I can pull them out by about 4.5 feet from the front wall and 3 feet from the side walls. Seating distance will be approximately 8 - 9 feet. Is this good enough or do you think more distance, especially from the front wall, is required to truly enjoy the speakers?

Mods -- I've also heard that the stock components (crossovers, fuses, etc.) and stands are suboptimal. Is this true? If so, what are the minimum requirements to bring the speaker to a higher standard and at what cost? 

Value -- For someone who is just starting out with Maggies, which model is a good entry point? I know that LRS+ is a good value, but my other speakers are very very good, so I want to do justice to the Maggies as well. But at the same time I don't want to spend more than I need to. Where do you think the sweet spot lies, i.e. which model(s)? I will be looking for used only since I've already spent way too much on other speakers.

Imaging -- I've also been told that imaging on Maggies is not that great. I have never heard Maggies before so I have no idea if this assertion is true or not. Your thoughts?

And finally, I want to hear from folks who love their Maggies. What is that you love most about the speakers? What qualities do they bring to the table that no other speaker does? Are there magnetic planar speakers from other brands that I should also be considering? Keep in mind they have to be readily available in the used market. So please don't suggest something that doesn't meet this requirement.

However, to bring some balance to the feedback, I would also love to hear from those who tried Magnepans and moved on to something else. Why? What was it that you didn't like about them? What did you move on to?

Thanks in advance and a sincere request: Please keep it civil ... no need for haters of Magnepan to use this as an opportunity to diss the brand.

128x128arafiq

I owned the older LRS and currently the 1.7i I usually listen around 80 dB with peaks to 90+ Eclectic music taste. Rock, classical, some country, bluegrass, zydeco, organ, etc.

Imaging is what they do. Sound appears to come from far beyond the speaker’s physical location.  The speakers disappear.

The LRS+ has a several-month or more lead time and few on the used market. The LRS+ and the larger Maggies are not the same speakers. Less bass than the larger versions but IMHO tone is better with the smaller panel.

Bass is good enough for me. I also own two REL subs. Not necessary with the 1.7i They sound fine without the subs. That’s personal taste. Not the easiest speaker to integrate subs.

4.5 feet out is about where I ended up with both the LRS and the 1.7i I have them closer than 3-feet to the side walls. Dipoles are not as sensitive to sidewall reflections.

I’ve used a 25-watt tube amp and 850-watt mono-blocks and stuff in between. I prefer the big SS power. You have plenty.

The stands are cheap. I have not sprung for Magnarisers or Mye Stands. They are what they are. Can one hear a difference?

The crossover components are cheap, binding posts are steel. Oh, well. Plenty of expensive speakers use inferior crossover components.

The 1.7i sounded good enough to beat out the other speakers I was using, albeit older models (Infinity RS-II, Klipsch Chorus II, Infinity RS-III/a, KEF 104/2).  Of that group I liked the KEF 104/2 the best.  May give some hint as to my taste in speakers.  

Forgot to mention I’m using an unconventional diagonal placement where everything including the listening position is oriented into the corner.

my room is about 12.5’x17.5’x8’ but because of they way two of the walls are big openings to other rooms and the fact that there’s both a radiator and a fireplace along one of the short and long walls respectively I had to search for other arrangements.

This set up has been really good with both my Magnepans and Fritz speakers. It’s a slightly different setup for each.

Also, I’m definitely engaging room nodes with that corner as the bass is prettty great with these little LRS’s. But not too much or out of control or boomy at all… just a slight bump potentially making up for where the LRS’s are deficient.
I do have 2 Omega ”deep hemp” subs but they are out of the system for now and low end is great.

JS

diag

Agree the 1.7i is the best value in the product line. My issue with Magnepan is the fit and finish and lack of an SE model(on all models).The SE model(s) would include proper stands/WBT speaker binding posts and top level crossover parts. 

I have the 3.7's and use 12" sealed box sub.  Wonderful upgrade from the planar-magnetic panels.  Plan on spending time on placement, listening position, etc.  Subwoofer settings are crucial to good sound.  What I like about Maggies is they are non-fatiguing.  They are true to the source and will point out any flaws in the rest of your kit.

@arafiq 

Life is too short, get them and get it out of your system, or keep them…lol. 
All jokes aside, consider Alsyvox and Wolf Von Langa to your must audition list before you buy any speakers.