Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

You have to ask yourself. What would you do if there was no dealer? You buy from a place that hopefully has a free trial and you pay back and forth shipping. Which one is better? That or the 5% fee in the story where he brings it to your room?

Full transparency, I only side with the dealer based on what you initially said. I'm not a fan of the 15% restocking fee or whatever hidden fee awaits me. 

@samureyex I appreciate your input. I was just trying to find the norm in these situations rather than decide who is right. I actually now purchased the Grimm Mu1 from another dealer. So all good

Just fyi, there are a good number of dealers who send in a demo to your home for 2 weeks with only return shipping paid by the potential buyer. This will be waived if you end up buying the product. Most are in the west coast or Midwest. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Just an update, I now have the Nordost Odin AES/EBU coming later this week. I already have the Shunyata Omega and Mogame cables. I will also get the Sablon soon. I am trying to get the Jorma cable too. I am unable to get the Ansuz. I know there may be others but these are the ones I am interested in. My goal is to see if there is a significant difference between these cables. If so, how much of a difference and how do they change the sound character. I will post the findings in a separate thread. I am not sure if these cables will sound the same in your system but at the very least you can get a general idea.

I want to add a couple of details. As far as availability and pricing goes, Grimm Mu1 is starting to become more available and they have caught up on the back log. I never paid MSRP for any audio purchase. The Grimm Mu1 had a recent price increase but there are dealers willing to offer it at the previous price. I got a further discount so I think I got a great deal. I will not add any details regarding dealers or price on this thread. I will reply with more details if you PM me.