Fiber to my Etherregen… Sonore OM or generic?

Greetings

I’ve been experimenting with both a SOTM ISO-Cat7 isolater as well as a 2nd hand Uptone EtherRegen with great results.

I currently have my modem and wireless router behind my equipment rack and I’m concerned their proximity to my audio gear is problematic.

Since the EtherRegen has an SFP port, I think the smartest way to put some distance between them is to install a FMC after the router and run a longish optical cable up from the basement directly to the Uptone ER. Also interested in the audio and iso benefits of doing that as well.

What is the benefit of buying a Sonore Optical Module over a TP Link or other consumer level FMC?

I know there may be benefits with using certain SFP cages and their appropriate cables but , would it be wiser to buy a cheap FMC and perhaps an inexpensive LPS (from LHY for instance) then spring for a boutique fiber converter ?

thanks

JS

j_andrews

I would get a $20 FMC off of Amazon. You may not even need the LPS since the other end feeding your system will have the LPS...assuming your EtherRegen has an LPS. I got one called 10Gtek and it works with my Etherregen

@j_andrews wrote: 

"What is the benefit of buying a Sonore Optical Module over a TP Link or other consumer level FMC?"

Supposedly they induce less noise. But I am uncertain if that noise (or the difference in noise between genetic and oM) is audible. And I do employ the prior gen Sonore oM from my NUC to my fiber optic network.

I always recommend using a linear psu on any and every FMC. They really do make a difference. 

What I can add is that I am using an Ether Regen sending the fiber cable direct to my Lumin X1. The difference in sound quality between usb and fiber was quite revealing.

ozzy

you can choose your preferred sfp/fmc modules, but always remember the reason for doing this is to eliminate electrically borne and transmitted noise at the receiving end...

... so that end (not the sending end) needs well performing sfp unit with a highly filtered, very quiet power supply -- so that electrical noise is not re-introduced at that junction (thus defeating the purpose of the whole exercise)

The receiving end is the Etherregen itself powered by a relatively inexpensive 12V LHY linear supply.
Are you suggesting a higher quality SFP in the Etherregen than in the upstream FMC.

I do have an extra 5V Ifi power x supply I was considering using on the transmitting FMC.

Also, one more question:

For the upstream equipment ( Modem, Router, FMC)… can they all be on the same circuit plugged into a Furman PST?