Dac: Old vs New

I have older DAC's that sound good but I've had them for several years. Benchmark DAC 1 and PS Audio Digital Link III with Mods. Would a newer DAC from, Topping (DX-5), Schiit (Modi Multibit 2)or SMSL, be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound? Seems like the newer DAC's have way more resolution and transparency. I prefer those attributes in gear over warmth. 

tonyjack

A lot depends on you and your expectations. If you truly understand that you might gain a bit of spatialness or a bit more detail or a bit better soundstage or imaging, but most likely not all of these things, you will find differences and may be worth trying others. I have had no less than 15 different dacs and have never spent more than $500. I have found gems at a hundred dollars or so and some real dissapointments. What I am using now is without a doubt the best that I’ve had in my system. It is an SMSL SU9 with MQA version. I’ve had it about a year and since I’ve had it, they have come out with a few other models that compete in the same price range. Be aware that I sent mine back to SMSL for a firmware update to remove a distortion peak. I believe the current models do not have this issue. I’m sure that other manufacturers also have some great products for the buck. All I am saying a very long winded way is yes. You can find something else out there. A couple others that I have owned is the MODI 3 (akm) and the original Chord Mojo. I prefer the SMSL. One thing the SMSL had done for me is that I've always had a hot spot that I do not have with the smsl. 

Perhaps a DAC with a tube output is in order? Something way different sounding may just be what the doctor ordered. 

Tonyjack

I'm a fan of Gustard for fairly inexpensive DAC's. I have one and love it

There is a 22x pro listed for a good price. It offers a lot for the money and right in your budget

Thanks for all the information from everyone! It's very helpful and very interesting.Please keep them coming. I'm taking it all in!!

@tonyjack - have you thought of upgrading your cables?

Todays components really are better than many systems allow them to be. Upgrading the cables allow modestly priced components to excel to levels I did not think possible

I’ve achieved great improvements in sound quality on reasonably modest components (i.e. $400-$700) by using quality cables with them.

• improved clarity and details
  • fast dynamic response
  • spacious and well defined image

A good place to start would be Audio Envy Cables - excellent cables for a modest outlay - great bang for the buck

Zavfino are also very good, with their TOTL cables costing a little more for stellar performance.

I started with the interconnects and then upgraded the power cables also on both my Schiit Bifrost, which I then replaced that with my Node2, both of which stepped up their performance level with good cables.

Hope that helps - Steve