Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

Regarding the pops, if anyone is using software to feed your dac, try reducig the output by 2 dB. Tbis sounds a lot kike dac clipping issues with other DACSif your pops vanish the problem is clear.

@erik_squires - I'll be curious to see if your tip resolves the issue.  I have not had a lot of time to listen since the firmware upgrade, but have not yet had the things described @geox54 happen.  I'm using a Bluesound Node 2i with the volume fixed.

I guess I should have given more specifics. I'm using a Cambridge Audio CXC via Audioquest Carbon Toslink cable to the Ares 2. When I first purchased this DAC, I was using a BJC coaxial and the issues were much more frequent than when using the Toslink. I then switched to Toslink and the pops were less frequent so I just never went back to the coaxial.

Don't get me wrong, for the first few days after the firmware update, the Ares 2 worked flawlessly and sounded fantastic. Then all of a sudden, the gremlins returned and so did my frustration. 

I am hoping that this was just a one-off anomaly. Have not listened to it much at all since, solely because I haven't had the time. Also, I must state that Vince has been absolutely great with customer service, as I had contacted him previously for another firmware update to correct previous issues, which were the same that sparked this latest firmware update. I love this DAC and hope that in the end, the issues can be resolved for good.

@mceljo did you have these issues while streaming via Bluesound Node 2i prior to the update?

@goex54 - Interesting. Is it possible you have a digital ground loop? Do you have a Cable TV coaxial cable coming into your system as well?

Coaxial digital cable can of course create a ground loop IF the DAC isn’t galvanically isolated, which sadly is not 100% of the time.

Another source for digital ground loops is from the streamer, especially PC’s. If you are using a laptop unplug it from the power supply. If this is your problem a USB isolator is in order for you. Again, IMHO, all DAC’s should have galvanically isolated USB and coax but they do not always have this.

Meaning, there should be no metal to metal pure pathway in.  An isolator, usually a transformer, is used to prevent DC current and ground loops from forming. 

In the digital domain weird effects like clicking, as well as not quite so audible effects like severe jitter, and even very audible hum are possible symptoms. 

@erik_squires  The only thing that I have hooked up to the Ares 2 is my CD transport via toslink. I don’t have a streamer and I don’t have my PC or cable TV running through it. At some point perhaps a streamer and or my PC via J River USB as I own a bit of hi res audio.