Spending a month's salary

I don't have much experience as an audiophile. Based on my research, the bulk of spend should be on fine speakers. I have $20k to invest in either a superior AMP, DAC or pair of speakers. What to do?

My room is on the smaller side, listening position is about 7-8ft from the speakers. I suppose bookshelf speakers are appropriate. Right side speaker is very close to side wall <1ft. Left side is open to 6-8ft. Back wall is about 10 ft from listening position. Speakers sit about 3ft from front wall.

My current setup:

Revel 106 speakers

Parasound P6 pre and A21+ amp

Node 130 streamer w/ upgraded Teddy PS

AQ cable loom.

I prefer bookshelfs given my room. Separates are ideal, though I would like to consider an all in one like a Boulder 866.

Which component is most important. I'm not looking to have an unbalanced system. Eg. $15k speakers and a $500 DAC.

Appreciate any insight.

tee_dee

I think this is a put on. You have a decent system for your space so what do you REALLY want to improve?? Musicality or detail (which is a bottomless rabbit hole)? You dont have a dedicated listening room so could spend $100k and not get a 20% improvement. Try a sub.

HiFi Rose 150b Streamer/DAC + Harbeths. 
Then, take the family on a $10k vacation.

@tee_dee 

I have the node 130 with the Teddy Pardo LPS and I also have the Boulder 866 with the optional DAC. It is a fantastic integrated and the DAC inside is the same as their high end stand alone DAC. It is very good. I think you would be very happy with it. It drives my Rockport Avior ii 4 ohm speakers with ease. Good luck !

Ron

@clearthinker

That chart is for my front L and R speakers, of the 4 default target curves available in ARC this one sounded subjectively better. You might notice the floor to ceiling bass traps in the front corners of my room if you look at my profile system. What you can’t see is the bass traps on the ceiling (auralex geofusors back filled with polyfil) or in the back of the room (auralex bamboo pyramids back filled with polyfil). The measurements for my subs and other speakers are posted in my profile. The end result is the bass hits low and very tight.

Keep the wires. Keep the node and the Pardo (that’s what I have😁) keep the preamp and amp.  Get a better DAC and USB cable.  I have the Denifrips Pontus ll and am blown away by it.  I can’t imagine what the Venus ll or Terminator ll sound like. The rest I’d put into speakers and your room. There are a lot of “bookshelf “ speakers in the $15,000 range out there and you ears will tell you when you have the right one.

All the best.