Describe the "new HiFi sound"?

Recently had a discussion with an audio friend over the word "musical" and what this word means to each of us with regard to sound from different amplifiers and speakers. Some debate too.  And, reading this other comment on Agon once in a while...how some equipment has the "new HiFi sound".  

ASK: 

Can someone describe this, in your words, what is the new HiFi Sound to you?  Examples? Or, opposites of the new HiFi sound, what does this sound like?

decooney

@dave_b

Not my bag Dawg! But you knew that…so why ask?

Atmos is backward compatible, an object based mix can be enjoyed on 2, 5, 7, channel system. When you play object based/atmos audio in a 2.1 system it sounds good. So, you can still enjoy atmos with two speakers or headphones. You can also enjoy it with more speakers and height channels. I think people who listen to high end stereo seem to feel they would need to make radical changes to enjoy object based mixes. Nope. When you deploy an immersive setup like I do you can mix and match your setup to the content. I love 2 channel stereo in the morning with my coffee. I love listening to classic albums remixed in atmos. I love upmixing rock and EDM to immersive audio. I can basically flip from mm music to movies by hitting the remote. Concert videos on blueray that were originally 5.1 sound better when upmixed to 9.2.7 in my current system. It simply gives me more choices.

As for my system it is setup following the dolby specs and it isn't difficult, you just need to follow them. I have a thread here an atmos setup and BTW, treating your room makes a big difference.

We are pretty far apart on our approach to enjoying music but I’m happy you have what you need!