Speakers and amplifiers show audiophiles are confused.

An audiophile buys a pair of speakers for $50K or $100K then asks what amps make them sound best. That’s about as smart as marrying a girl without knowing her personality. What are the specs that will insure your expensive new speakers and amps will work optimality with each other? There’s got to be an app for that, well no there isn’t because there are too many variables and companies don’t present their specs in a standard ways. Why is it that speaker and amplifier manufactures don’t recommend specific amps for their speakers? Beyond power, impedance, and making your own crossovers how do you choose amplifiers to get all the potential out of your speakers?

128x128donavabdear

@kenjit As for the sound quality, this is not something which can be matched other than using trial and error because nobody knows why amplifiers and speakers sound the way they do.

That's what I'm talking about. The only way to get the most out of your speaker is to have an amp and crossover that are designed for that speaker and its drivers. Some say on this thread that high end audiophiles aren't confused, seems like trial and error over such expensive equipment is the definition of confusion.

@ghdprentice Love your story and it seems the perfect answer to what's natural. I recorded actors for a living and I would say natural sound is eating lunch with Anthony Hopkins and then recording him on set and having it sound the same. It never really is the same our brains always translate the real experience and when we turn on our music systems. 

I only know of one piece of hi-fi equipment that actually sounds like real life and that is my Steinway and Sons Spirio/r grand piano it will playback songs with a digital engine that has over a thousand levels of dynamic range per key stroke. It sounds exactly right, there are no microphones or speakers. 

Many of us understand @donavabdear 

I only know of one piece of hi-fi equipment that actually sounds like real life and that is my Steinway

I could't agree more and can completely relate. When I observe my young man (apple of my eye) play in the band it's intoxicating, but when I'll ask for a acoustic drum freestyle solo in the garage is when it becomes much more intimate. 

If you want a slightly warm and space heater buy Gryphon amps

If you want neutral get Audionet

If you want class A and neutralish Get the new $36,500 Krell - KSA‐i400 - 400W Stereo Class A Power Amplifier w/ iBias that makes it not a space heater.

If you want to get made fun of buy McIntosh 

If you have more money than me get Boulder 

If you hate bass and just want highs get Simm moon

If you want class D get AGD or Mola Mola 

If you want to impress people buy an orchestra to play around the speakers 

@dave_b , You and I were cast in the same mold. Rock On! The right amplifier is the biggest bruiser you can afford.