Are you interested in the new generation of "old school" design loudspeakers?

So is Danny Richie of GR Research. Though known for his open baffle loudspeaker and subwoofer designs, as well as narrow baffle sealed loudspeakers, Danny has received in for analysis and possible upgrades a number of the new "old school" design loudspeakers that have been recently introduced by the likes of KLH. Being a good businessman, he obviously realized he could offer his own version of such a design, free of the "problems" he found in those of others.

In this 30 minute video Danny discusses the design of his newest offering: the "Brute". Even if you’re not interested in this specific topic, you may find the video of value in general loudspeaker terms. He has made many other videos, all addressing either a specific topic, or a specific loudspeaker. There are easy to find: Go onto YouTube and do a search for GR Research.

To dispel any suspicions, no, I am in no way affiliated with Danny Richie and/or GR Research, other than being a very satisfied customer.

128x128bdp24

Accoustat is a 70s-80s design that still cuts it.  I always wanted the big ones but didn't have the money.  Later I went Martin Logan and haven't regretted it.

KLH-5 vs AR-2ax

If you are handy, and want a project:

I re-built two pairs of AR-2ax speakers last year. My first decent speakers when in college. Shown here

bought for basement/shop: sounded so good I moved them to my office and ordered the 2nd pair for the basement/shop.

They are a smaller version of the KLH-5, i.e. AR-2ax only 24" high; KLH are 34" high. (AR-2ax are around 1 cubic feet less). both 3 way, drivers essentially the same.

AR-2ax cost me $500/pair incl new parts + $250 delivery =$750/pair delivered

KLH-5 is $2,500/pair plus delivery (est $500) = $3,000/pair _maybe less)

Both KLH-5 and AR-2ax are true bookshelf speakers, i.e. only 11.5" deep, fit a 12" deep shelf. No port, both have level controls as mentioned above.

Of course they can be free-standing, the AR-2ax would need a taller stand, not included in my cost.

Re-build AR-2ax, prices are for a pair

woofer re-foam kit: $30

new tweeters: $180.

new level controls (4): $40.

crossover parts, parts express: $50.

linen grill cloth $40.

work

remove woofers, remove stuffing, remove crossover board, remove tweeters

re-foam woofers; install new tweeters; change level controls on crossover board; change 4 caps and 6 resistors; re-install crossover board.

change existing wire connections for new parts. I used crimped bullet connectors, different colors.

stuff with polyester fill (walmart, cheap)

It was pretty easy, and they sound better than any bookshelf speaker I have tried.

Looks

KLH-5 new/perfect

AR-2ax: decent touch up of wood cabinets in good shape, or, if on shelf, only front edges and their corners matter.

Here’s a nice pair worth restoring

A few years ago I contemplated buying some older Klipsch and putting new in parts. Then I learned the guy who sold the Klipsch parts also had his own speaker, the late Bob Crites.  They are wide but really nice sounding.  

I bought a pair of KLH Model 5 recently and have to say I am loving them.  I keep thinking I really need a much higher end speaker given the rest of my system, but when I listen to them I really have to question that thought.