Grimm MU1 Streamer - Really "The Best"?

I've recently become interested in the Grimm MU1.  While reviews of top end players from Innuos, Aurender and Antipodes and others are typically all very positive, the tone of the many pro reviews of the Grimm MU1 go far, far beyond, with some reviews resorting to using superlatives and gushing of positive system transformation and not being able to stop listening to material, etc..  HiFi Advice and Steve Huff (actually calls it "magic") have such reviews.

Given the delay in availability of the Innuos Pulsar which I'm told will be better than my current Zenith Mk3 + PhoenixUSB reclocker, I am interested in replacing my streaming setup with a one-box solution that includes a high-precision clock.  The new streamer will continue to feed my Gryphon Diablo 300's DAC module, which I have no interest in replacing.

I'm actually a fan of Innuos, after they improved the sound of my Zenith with firmware updates and after I added their PhoenixUSB reclocker. I appreciate this commitment to improving sound quality which is why I was so interested in the Pulsar.

The trigger for considering an upgrade is not for improved sound, but rather, to solve some issues I have with too many Audioquest power cords coiled and clumped together. I will get to lose one of them and one of my USB cords with a one-box streamer. I've noticed my sound is very sensitive to positioning of my AC cords and find I often need to re-adjust the PC feeding my amp to get proper sounding vocals at center stage.  One of my subs also seems to be picking up AC noise when the crossover is set above 60Hz. The second trigger is simply system simplification, removing one box.  All that said I don't really have any complaints regarding sound, and the PhoenixUSB reclocker truly did improve the sound of my Zenith.

While the Grimm MU1 has it's 4X upsampling up it's sleeve with reviewers absolutely glowing over this feature and it's extreme ability to separate tones to the left, right, front, and back far better than the rest, I don't see that Grimm has gone to any lengths with regard to power supply management in the way other brands do including Innuos. The MU1's ultra-simplistic interior doesn't bug me, but the lack of transformers and power management makes me wonder....

Are there any updates from folks who have directly compared the MU1 vs similarly classed streamers from the competition?  Did you find it to be as revelatory as the pro reviewers found it? And, how does it compare to other streamers with it's 4X upsampling disabled?  Does it sound like it suffers from it's lack of power management?  I do see that the clock should be very good...

nyev

Still trying to figure out how the Tambaqui can be this revealing and “musical” at the same time. I think its secret is in how transients are presented.  While the transients are so, so quick (finally my system matches the transient response I adore with headphones), the real trick is how stunningly gentle they are.  Gentle is the wrong word because there is great impact as well.  But there is no sudden edge to the transients, while at the same time still being well defined.

I’m enjoying the Tambaqui to the extent that I wish I had an excuse, to sell the Tambaqui and buy a Mola Mola Makua Pre-amp with the Tambaqui module installed.  I’ve seen some people report the Tambaqui performing even better as a pre-amp add-on module, vs as a stand-alone.  If somehow it were possible to just use my Diablo as a power amp for now I might actually have considered this!  Just for the purposes of a future upgrade path for my amp.  More fantastical musings.  

Either my Tambaqui is improving or I’m warming up to it more, but it sounds more lush and inviting than yesterday.  My interim cheap AQ Red Dawn interconnects are burning in too I guess.

Post removed 

@nyev

If somehow it were possible to just use my Diablo as a power amp for now I might actually have considered this!

I assume I am not mentioning anything you already don't know and you probably have already read the following which I happen to come across in he What’s Best Forum.  If I understand correctly they are discussing Diablo 300 software updates and running the Diablo as an amp only.

Gryphon Diablo 300 - 5.5 years of ownership | What’s Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

@nyev I think I mentioned before that you will have to spend ~$10K or more (retail) to hear a substantial improvement over the built-in DAC. It would have been a shocker had the Tambaqui not performed at a higher level than the built-in DAC at more than twice the price :)

If you peruse these forums, you come across folks who question spending anything more than a couple of grands on a DAC. You know the "bits are bits, all DACs handle ones and zeroes and jitter the same way, yada yada ... " crowd. People make these kinds of 'carved in stone' assertions without every trying a high quality dac in their systems. It is educational and refreshing to hear about someone trying a high end dac and be able to articulate what they're hearing as well as you are. 

I'm waiting for you to share your impressions once you get the Grimm streamer. The trio of Grimm, Tambaqui, and Gryphon is going to be one helluva system. Color me envious :)

@jetter thanks and I wasn’t aware you could actually use the Diablo as a power amplifier. But my thought of buying a Mola Mola Makua preamp and using the Diablo 300 as a pure power amp was more of a fantastical musing after being so impressed by Mola Mola’s Tambaqui.

@arafiq yes you were right. I really didn’t know what to expect with the Tambaqui, despite its price tag. I’ve seen in other posts that a few can find this DAC to be lean and analytical. While I certainly don’t like lean and analytical and at times have struggled with that side of things in prior iterations of my system, that is not in the slightest what I get with the Tambaqui. Maybe I did detect a bit of that on the first day, but after settling in it became lush and inviting. Obviously system synergy is playing a major role. But I think I “won the lottery” from the perspective of system matching. I feel like the trio of the PhoenixNET, Diablo and Tambaqui (and yes, Innuos Zenith and PhoenixUSB too) are so unbelievably dialled into the precise sound that I’ve been chasing all these years. Total spacial precision and clarity but solid, tangible, rhythmic, propulsive, muscular, fast yet totally unforced, the best dynamics I’ve heard on my system, all while having an incredible smooth flow of music. And a word I don’t often see in reviews: pretty. Can’t put my finger on it but some music just sounds pretty to me, for the first time. The bass has become stronger and even more resolute over the past two days. That’s a good subjective word for how I would describe the sound - resolute. I lot of this I was unknowingly searching for in my random testing of stuff. Blind squirrel found a nut.

Last year I made a TON of upgrades after selling my car to fund everything, and while performance when through the roof I think I felt that ever elusive musical engagement was still lacking. The Tambaqui has utterly closed this gap in my system.

I’ve had long term plans to eventually add a turntable to my system (my Diablo has a phono card) but I now feel like I will be disappointed on that front if I don’t spend an unreasonable amount to get to the level of performance and musical engagement I’m getting now, and the chances I will get there with the right voicing for me seems slim…. This sound is not just good (it is), but more importantly I just can’t get over how it simply ticks all my boxes for my personal tastes so perfectly.

Of course there are even higher end DAC’s which I was curious about (CH Precision aNR EMM Labs DA1) but I’m not so keen to even look at these anymore.

The one thing that I’ll repeat as a ding against the Tambaqui is it seems to have slightly less breath, air and space between everything, and maybe some other DACs might present a bigger, grander and richer sound than the Tambaqui’s more focused approach. But its resolute solidity and precision while still being utterly revealing is well worth the trade off for me, as I get more musical enjoyment at the slight expense of HiFi spatial pyrotechnics and overall scale, which possibly, for me, may even be attributes that get in the way of the music to some extent..

I spent last night playing all sorts of albums I love that for decades have sounded like crap on my system, being thin/harsh or bad recordings. For the first time every single one of them sounded great on my system with the full extent of the musical content clearly coming through without any unpleasant aspects. My system became more revealing AND harsh recordings have become highly enjoyable. So cool!

Update: Just remembered my criticism of the lack of space and air may be entirely related to the $300 AQ Red River balanced interconnects I’m using, which I’ve read are decent but known to clobber spatial distances. So the Shunyata cables should help with this when they arrive, as should the MU1’s 4X oversampling. But really, I’m not feeling I’m missing anything at all right now.  Pretty sure I’ve never felt that way about my system before, ever, in the decades I’ve been at it.