Brand New Vinyl Static and Pops

Nothing major, but annoying.

Could it be because I was spinning old dirty vinyl which made the platter dirty/dusty?

I'm about to buy the humminguru. Does anything go well with it?

128x128jjbeason14

My ritual for a new albums.is;

Holding the album on a table standing up. Razor the shrink wrap pressing down on the cover now bowing the album so that the album cover bows outward.You should notice the record sleeve clinging to the album.

While the sleeve still inside the cover. Using a Zerostat gun placing the nozzle into the sleeve between the record and the sleeve at one corner of the sleeve and SLOWLY pressing the trigger, move the gun toward the other corner of the sleeve.

You should hear 2 clicks as you travel, timing the the pressing of the trigger to the end with a full press.This will release a POSITIVE stream of ions. Alternate to the other side of the album 2 or 3 times per side should do it. You'll know you're finished when the record sleeve has released from the album. Both the album cover and sleeve should be bowed outward away from the album. Now pull the sleeve out.

Now bowing the sleeve {with gloves if you like} SLOWLY grip the album ROLLING the album out. DO NOT STRAIGHT PULL the album! This will only reload the album with a static charge.

Then I clean the album with a cleaning machine. I also use Gruv glide.

I have one particular album that has only 2 pops on a side and NONE on the other side. It has worked for me every time.

That’s vinyl! It’s part of it. A while ago I purchased an Audio deske system ultra sonic cleaner. I only expected it to really clean my records but it improved the sound and quieted the discs so much that it’s really noticeable. I’ve tried other methods, brushes, cleaners, grounding, but this is the only thing that really made a difference. 

Has anyone got a Dynagroove brush? There’s a strip of polonium built in near the fibers that emits both positive and negative ions. You use it as a brush like the Audioquest brush. They were taken off the market because of the mildly radioactive polonium. I think it works for me just prior to needle drop but because static charge is so idiosyncratic I dare not swear by it.

lewm

Has anyone got a Dynagroove brush?

Hmmm, Dynagroove was an RCA "innovation," no?

There’s a strip of polonium built in near the fibers that emits both positive and negative ions. You use it as a brush like the Audioquest brush. They were taken off the market because of the mildly radioactive polonium

That sounds like StaticMaster. It’s still available.

http://www.company7.com/staticmaster/products/staticmaster.html

@jjbeason14 This is just a start:

Do you play your records with the TT dustcover open, off or down? Dust is the enemy! Some purists wouldn't dream of ever playing records with the dustcover on or down. I might be inclined to do the same if my sound system was in a laboratory clean room. Dust is everywhere, no matter how OCD you and/or the maid are!

Make sure your TT platter, matt, etc. is/are clean (i.e. no dust). If you insist on playing records with the TT dustcover off or up then, at least, keep the dustcover down when the TT is not in use and/or covered in some way. Personally, I keep the dust cover down AND have a special dust resistant cloth type thing (e.g. one of those old cover type things used to put over office equipment like computers, printers, typewriters, etc.) I cover the entire TT with when not in use. I use a similar cover for my amp, when not in use, in order to keep dust out of the vents & louvers.

Use some sort of LP cleaner BEFORE you play ANY record, EVEN NEW ONES. This need not be done every single time before play (or even before and after play, if you want to be that compulsive), unless you have something like a Degritter, which would make doing something like this feasible. Ultrasonic is really the way to go. Check out products at The Last Factory and at CleanerVinyl. I recommend Last Record Preservative, after a thorough record cleaning.

Use a good anti-static record brush before AND after every play. Something like the AudioQuest Anti-static Record Brush would do the trick. Some folks don't believe in record brushes or anything going into the record grooves after a good record cleaning and use air puffing or blowing devices, instead. One way or another, try to remove as much of the dust, as possible, off records before playing them.

Get rid of those cheap paper record sleeves that generally come with most records and store your records AND albums in good quality anti-static poly sleeves. Check out Music Direct. They have good ones.

Check with your cartridge manufacturer and see what they recommend for a stylus cleaner and how often to use it. Some recommend use before and after every play. Personally, I think this is overkill and, in some cases, risky, as this pertains to possible cartridge damage. I've been using an Onzow before and after every play and a safe liquid cleaner every now & then. The Onzow has a built-in magnifying glass type thing that helps you examine the stylus in order to check for dust & crud accummilation. However, there are better loops or magnifying contraptions on the market that will help you get a much better look. Examining your cartridge and stylus, now & then, is a good idea.

Finally, store your records properly (e.g.  cool, dry place out of the sun; etc.).

Apart from investing in a good, effective ultrasonic or vacuum type LP cleaning machine, these basic steps should be well within your stated budget.