what are your top "audio bargins" in your system history?

It is great to have all the money you need to have the best and endless upgrading.  But what about the components you've had that were inexpensive that turned out to be favorites of yours?

jusam

First "Audiophile" interconnects taught to me by Stan Warren (the S of PS Audio in the early 80's) at their facility. Three gauges of magnet wire(motor or coil winding wire) in something like 2/2/3 strands, wish I could remember exactly, braided and silver soldered into the cheapest Radio Shack RCA connectors, the ones with little metal wings and no outside insulation. Cost back then, about $1 for 3 ft pair.

We listened to his set on their shop system and compared to the best other cables they had on hand, they were better:) Also go to listen to the original cigar box preamp as well:)

------------

Later 90's I learned about using Star Quad raw cable and decent but low cost RCA connectors to make dang fine cables for around $10 a pair or less. I have used it for balanced cables as well.

I have no plans to spend more on cables, have plenty of raw cable to make all I will ever need.

Rick

McIntosh C27 pre for $599 including walnut case (used) just before their price started to skyrocket

Advent/1 speakers (pair) for $90 (closeout)

Dual CS 5000 turntable with nearly new Shure V-15 Type 5-MR for $350 (used)

Sherwood S-7600 receiver (1970) with case for $125 (closeout) 

APT Holman preamp in trade for TEAC C-3X cassette deck

Installed 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for $250, best bang for the buck decision I ever made.

About 1973.  Marantz 105 tuner, $45, brand new, at a Navy Exchange somewhere in the Med.  They had a stack of them that needed to be moved out, and my ship happened to be in port.  Several of my shipmates grabbed one too, after I passed the word.

Still have it and it's working fine!

Lovely Thread, this is news I can use. I like my Mapleshade Speaker Wire, They don't look like much but for the money they out perform everything I have tried in the (lower) price range. I added some cheap bananas and I use them with my SS/ Harbeth 30.1.