Oxidation on surface of cable under clear jacket

Wondered if anyone has had this problem.  I have a pair of “Oval” cables I was going to reintroduce into my system.  They’re 15 years old.  I noticed that green oxidation had formed over a length of the cable under the clear jacket.  Since there is shrink tubing over the spade connector, so I can’t tell if the oxidation has reached the connector.  Problem is the manufacturer’s warranty was over many years ago.  They weren’t inexpensive. Seems others have had the same issue.  I guess I’ll give them a call to see what can be done, but I’m not optimistic.  I do have another manufacturer’s cables I can use if this can’t be remedied.. Your thoughts?

deanrk

Almosthome your guess is better than mine!

Thespeakerdude  outside sheathing is on the thicker side which does afford protection from objects cutting through, but not air infiltration

Hi Deanrk,

When I started building my first Hi-Fi system, decades ago, I built my own speaker cables.  They had clear shielding, and eventually noticed the same oxidation problem that you experienced.  So, I started searching for a replacement...

I agree with the first half of williewonka's comments, but not the second half.

You see, I replaced my DIY cables with Audio Envy cables then realized I had made a mistake.  After a break-in period (over 100 hours), the Audio Envy cables were noticeably unbalanced sounding (thin, harsh treble, average mid-range, anemic bass). 

When I called the owner of Audio Envy to relay my concern, I was told that the 'brand new' cables that I bought a few weeks ago had already been replaced.  Apparently, he was cleaning-out his stock of OLD cables, which he sold to me.  I asked to upgrade these old cables, for the new ones, but he refused to give me credit for the ones that I just purchased!

I turned to Anti-cables (Level 3), which were just a little more money at that time, and I really like Anti-cables as an entry-level solution.  Much, much better balance, coherence, and all-around more 'believable'.  Please know that, other than making full-retail purchases, I have no affiliation with Anti-Cables.

Furthermore, the Anti-cables website states: 

Return Policy

Products may be returned for a full refund up to 30 days after taking delivery. The ZEROs are a full 60 days.

• Returns must be approved before they are shipped.
  • Custom made orders are not returnable.

I had one customer-service issue (and exchange) with Anti-Cables and it was promptly addressed. I recently upgraded my speakers, and the Anti-Cables are performing great.  Though inexpensive, I believe that they are NOT a limiting Q factor in my system.

I hope this helps,

InAGroove

Inagroove  Good advice. The 12TCs I have areindividually insulated single strands. I’ll give them a close exam before I connect them. And they’re about 3 yrs old  I’m out of town for about another month. And then another listen.  I was also looking/not ready to buy, Straight Wire and the other recommendations. But not till I reevaluate the 12TCs

BTW. Now I’m also wondering what shape my Oval interconnects are r in?  They don’t have a clear outer sheath. I’ll give them a look when I get back  ANC’s Kimber Hero interconnects

Lastly, if this is a problem with many cables (affordable and expensive), do we go into this knowing that down the road it’s not a long term investment?

I’m looking for my 10 Ga. Zip cord. LoL