proper Tannoy Canterbury room set up

Hello,
so I have a set of Tannoy Canterbury GR on the way to live in my dedicated 14'X18' music theatre. The system in located on the 14' wall. Previously Quad 988 esl have lived here, which sat out about 4 foot off the front wall and 2 1/2 foot off the sides, with toe in toward center. To start off with, should I position the Tannoy the same? or not? Someone told me that Tannoy is designed to go back-right-up to the front wall - I have not heard this from any other, so I wonder if it is true or not? Would love to get instruction and hear what other Canterbury users are doing with their room layout.
thank you in advance for thoughtful input.
William
128x128grateful
Raising Canterburys -

A friend with Canterburys was advised by Jim Smith to experiment elevating them and found that did improve upper frequency info. Pay attention to Mulveling!
Thank you guys so much for you thoughtful insight. I certainly is great to have such a fine community to help support our fine hobby.

So sounds like a good starting point will be to position them in the place the Quads were and go from there, along with elevation to reposition the highs to about ear level. Maybe I will fashion a stubby-stand for them to elevate them - maybe like a sealed furniture grade box to sit them on and fill with sand or some other mass filler.

As far as wiring goes -- should I connect my cable to the bass inputs and then use jumper to go to the high input /or/ connect my cables to the high inputs and jump to the bass inputs /or/ should I biwire? Now, I have not biwired before -- if bewaring is the proper and best way to do it -- would I just use two cables and connect both to the 'only' outs on the amps and then the other ends to the highs and bass on the speakers (like a 'Y')? Does doing this change the ohm resistance that the amp sees???
Congratulations for not following typical audio herd mentality and choosing something you feel will deliver music. They will!

First rule: NO RULES!

Distance from the rear wall will depend on where you find your preferred listening position after experimentation, where the speaker ends up to get the best bass in your room, how far apart you can get away with and still like the imaging, and other sonic factors you note.

Start with the speakers where ever you want, you'll be moving them anyway just to test your reaction to the sound at different positions. Start with your last speakers were, but do not be afraid to move them around, marking each position and making notes about how you felt about the sound in that position.

Remember, the woofers will change a lot during break-in, so you might have to revisit prior positions. Likely you will very quickly find sonically "acceptable" positions quickly, so you will be enjoying music while testing the different possible positions. Don't rush it, enjoy the sound and don't be afraid to leave them in acceptable positions for a few days before you go onto the next location. This will make differences easier to hear.

Don't forget toe in: you can tune the upper end this way. If they are too soft aim them more at your ears, if they are too present toe them out so they fire at a position behind you.

Enjoy!
I wire to the tweeter inputs and use the Tannoy jumpers to the bass inputs. Originally I tried biwiring and did not find it any better.
I agree with all the other posts, and backup Kiddman response. I recently purchased the Canterbury GR and am going through the same process as you. My issue (?) in the end was with a "hot" tweeter, not a soft one. I did not and will not be lifting them so the tweeter is at ear level at this time.......not if it makes it hotter!

I have the units toed in just a hair to help cool the top end as well...in other words not pointed at my ears or just off the ears....too much! Again, I have them pointing straight ahead with slight toe-in.

With speaker wire, definately attach to the HF and jumper to the bass. I tried both at first, liked the HF best then, and recently, tried the other way around again and it was not even close, stay with speaker wire on HF, jumper to bass. Another note on speaker cable. I have heard that the Sablon biwire is phenominal on the Tannoy, and a great price as well. I am using Stealth V10 right now and believe that to be a reason for my hot tweeter. As soon as I can move the the Sablon I will be doing so.

I also found that adjusting the ports cleaned up and tuned the bass nicely. With respect to the adjustable high end, I have not had much luck playing with the two adjustments on the front of the speaker! I have played with them lots and the change seems to be minor! They do not cool my top end! The only thing that cools my top end is leaving the front panels on. This is the only speaker I have experienced "better" sound with the covers on. However,I strongly disagree with leaving them on while playing. I am sure the engineers did not design them with cloth in front of them for listening tests. If you have copper speaker wire I would love to hear how your system is working with the GR. I think when I get these fine tuned it's going to be awesome, as I have already had some peaks into what they can do on some of my material.