What can beat Wilson XVX for less money?

If you have heard xvx what speakers have you heard that are better for less money? Seems Jay just got XVX and can't help but wonder if there are speakers that perform better for example for $100k or less. Including used.

smodtactical

This level equipment is beyond my league but I had a couple interesting demos that may be helpful for you.  I live in Memphis and met the owner of EgglestonWorks.  Jim had his Ivy Signature SEs in his office and gave me a demo. I don't recall the electronics but they were modest brands.  These speakers were designed with Bob Ludwig in mind, who stands while working.  The tweeters are quite high for a typical listening room.  I read in a review one may want to consider building a raised platform for their seat, which seems very unusual.  Regardless, that was the most memorable sound experience I have ever had.  They were probably 15 or so feet apart and the wall of 3 dimensional sound they created was jaw dropping.  I had an audio friend with me and we were both amazed.  A few months ago I visited a large Wilson dealer and heard the XVX with all Burmester electronics.  The price tag was approximately $1,500,000 on this system, maybe more.  I have Sophia 1 and honestly my system is more engaging than what I heard from the XVX.  To all other points, there are endless variables so good luck with a demo to figure out what direction to go and see if you can find one of the few EgglestonWorks dealers to visit.

Sorry to say, but I’m very disappointed in all of you. You cannot evaluate speaker performance or for that matter hi-fi system performance based on limited time of listening at different venues. Ask yourself the question. How many times you fall in love with a speaker/equipment just to find out later that it was’t that good? If anyone on this platform claims that he/she can easily figure out what sounds great based on limited experience here and there, you obviously never learn anything when it comes to sound. Yes, I truly believe that after you hear a "good sounding system" you are convinced that this must be for real, because you were there and heard it in person, and of corse you know what sound’s best. Unfortunately, this is a fouls reality. How many of you bought speakers/equipment and liked every bit off it to find out later that the sound is not up to par. And then, you go on vacation for two weeks, come back home, turn on the system and you like it again. Until a week later you realize that the sound is not that great again. So, the moral of the story is that you cannot learn a lot about sound quality from different venues or your friend’s hi-fi system, unless you listen for a long, uninterrupted continues period of time and let your ear/brain digest and absorbed the entire ray of music - not just pieces of notes.

You might want to check out the Rockport Cygnus speakers. To my ear Wilson speakers have always sounded somewhat “technical”, but the Rockports more musical and effortless. 

I've sold and owned my fair share of Wilsons. I've been to the factory. I know some of the family thus I am a bit of a fan boy.

If you couldn't bust out $350,000 for speakers - you are still going to be OK.

Here are some recommendations from me:

• Tekton Ulfberts (sp?) are big, custom colored, easy-to-drive speakers from Utah. They are a tiny fraction of the price.

• Focal Sopra No. 2s - about 1/2 the price of Sashas. Equal on build quality. Easy to drive. Sound great. I reviewed a pair here.Â