CLASS A POWER RATINGS

In well designed SS class A power amps I was told that although power could increase to double in class AB mode from speaker demands of  8 ohms to 4 ohms, class A suffered to be cut in half.

For example a class A denominated amp rated at 50 watts class A into 8 ohms would double to 100 watts class AB  into a 4 ohm load but only have 25 watts of class A power before switching to class AB.

But I've noticed of late claims of manufacturers stating their amps double their class A power as impedance demands are halved.

So is the explanation that technology has advanced ?

rost

@clearthinker  the krell ibias amps do not run in class B, they are class A the circuit used increases the class A bias as more class A power is needed. Krell's old sustained plateau bias was also class A, in fact if you drive those old amps hard they will generate enough heat that the top two bias positions will drop down to class B until the temperature of the amp comes down.  

@invalid I spoke to someone who has the KRELL KSA i400 at their shop. A bit amazed at what I heard today about it.  

So, if I compare, say a Pass Labs XA 30.8 (30W class A) vs a Pass Labs X260.8 (1st 34W are class A assuming 8 ohm loads) at regular listening levels on efficient speakers (so, at 1-5W power at listening levels), are they two different levels of Class A quality?

@reg19 Possibly. More will depend on other aspects of the circuit, such as how feedback is implemented, the construction of the power supply and so on.

@yyzsantabarbara - Would you care to please share what you heard about the Krell KSA i400 that you found so amazing? TIA

I used to own the KRELL Duo 175XD and the K-300i so I know how the new KRELL sounds. I loved it. I sold the 175XD with the plans of buying the KSA -i400 or a CODA #16. I got a deal on a used #16 so I went that way. However, I do miss that new KRELL sound.

I expected the i400 to be better than the 175XD and 300XD. That was confirmed to me by this dealer. However, what was surprising is that the dealer sells other amps that are in the same price range, and he was saying that the i400 is much better than the main line he sells. I think he said it kills the other amps he sells. He was trying to get me to buy some of the other gear in the past that he loved, but now his opinion is a bit different. 

In terms of priority the i400 is the last item on my list that he thinks I should buy since I already have the CODA #16. He is not really trying to sugarcoat his opinion on the i400 to me.

The amazing part on the amp is the specs. It doubles down to 1 Ohm and can drive anything. It also does not get Class A hot and the sonics for me were the most relaxing amps I had owned (the 2 lower end XD ones). The only negative for me is the depth and 160lbs weight. A huge reason why I went with the smaller and lighter CODA #16. Though the C0DA #16 sounds so good in my office system. The plan was to use in in the Livingroom system.