DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend

Okay...in another thread I promised to do a side-by-side evaluation of the Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap vs the Rockna Wavelight. Due to the astonishing incompetence of DHL this has been delayed. At the moment, I have a plethora of DACs here and am going to do a broader comparison.

I am going to do a compare of the Rockna Wavelight, Rockna Wavedream Signature, Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap, Chord Hugo 2, Chord Hugo TT2, Bricasti M3, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Weiss 501 and the internal DAC card for an AVM A 5.2 Integrated amp as a baseline.

For sake of consistency, I am going to use that same AVM integrated amp driving Vivid Kaya 45s. I may branch out and do some listening on other speakers (Verdant Nightshade of Blackthorn and/or Wilson Benesch Vertexes) but want to use the Vivids for every compare as they are the fullest range speakers I have here. For sake of consistency I will use a Chord 2Go/2Yu connected via an Audioquest Diamond USB as a renderer. The only exception is the Hugo 2 which has a 2Go directly attached to it. I will use a Roon Nucleus+ as a server in all cases.

My plan is to use the same five songs on every DAC; In a Sentimental Mood from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, Be Still My Beating Heart from Sting, Liberty from Anette Askvik, Duende from Bozzio Levin Stevens and Part 1 of Mozart String Quartet No 14 in G Major from the Alban Berg Quartet. The intent is to touch on different music types without going crazy.

I will take extensive notes on each listening session and write up a POV on the strengths of each unit. I am going to start this this Friday/Saturday and will be writing things up over the next month or so. If you have thoughts, comments or requests, I will be happy to try and accommodate. The one thing I am not going to do is make the list of songs longer as that has an exponential impact on this and make everything much harder. If and when other DACs come in on trade I may add to the list through time.
128x128verdantaudio

@f208frank Congrats on the DAC. How are you streaming to it? I have a PLink streamer but no Playback Desings DAC 😀 so I have no clue how the PLink sounds.

I use a K50 from antipodes, I was considering the plink streamer but also felt in a way I am boxing myself to this combination where as the K50 can be a little more versatile. I should mention that already having the K50 prior to mpd6 played a big role in the decision as well.

It is a wonderful dac.

I may be able to listen to a Playback Designs Merlot DAC.  Has anyone compared the older Merlot DAC to the latest designs from Playback Designs, the Edelweiss or Dream?

Yes.  Not in the same league.  It drifts a hair brighter.  The image is smaller and the level of detail is not quite in the same league.  Very simply, the output stage can’t deliver the way the MPD-6 or MPD-8 can.  That being said, you know it is from the same company.  

So...I have been in the process of re-basing our DAC knowledge base as the system has finally been forced to change.  Very simply, the Vivid Kaya 45s are sold and with that departure, I figured I ought to move to my new reference system for purposes of testing.  

Basically, I am relistening to DACs in the new system.  I did some of this before the departure of the Vivids and moved the DAC to the new system.  I am no longer an official Vivid dealer.  Vivid moved to a new distributor and they have rules within their distribution agreement I am 100% sure I am going to want to break.  Rather than violate the dealer agreement, I figured we would part ways and be friends.  If they change their rules, I would be happy to pick the line up again

So....the new system consists of Wilson Benesch Discovery 3Zeros, a Canor Hyperion P1 Preamp, Virtus M1 Mono-Blocks and the source is the Antipodes Oladra server.  This is a bit more esoteric but tonally it is VERY similar to AVM and Vivid which was set up side-by-side as a comparison. It is just radically superior in terms of staging, detail and holography.  ICs and SCs are Inakustic 2404 and all power cables are Puritan Ultimate XX and it is routed through a Puritan 1512. The room is treated with Vicoustic diffusers, wall panels and bass traps.  

This is a system and room that have been optimized together so I should be able to extract every drop of performance from each DAC. The re-basing process is done and I look forward to writing up new Units.  Two will follow shortly for the Soulnote D-2 and the Lumin X1.