What is you tonearm’s Maximum Distortion?

I’ve been playing around with different cartridge mounting, as a Grace arm the plinth of my Lenco cannot be mounted at the recommended pivot-to-spindle distance of 222mm (closest it can get is 225mm).

My best figures in theory seem to be:
Max. Tracking Error: 3.51 degrees
Max. Distortion: 1.21 %
Average RMS Distortion: 0.73 %

This is with: P-t-s 225mm; overhang 11mm; offset angle 19 degrees.

What are your figures for your setup?

fusian

Dear @fusian  : Around 90% of tonearm manufacturers used and use one of the 3 best knowed alignments: Löfgren A or B and Stevenson.

Those same tonearm manufacturers choose between different but " standard " tonearm efective lengths: 9", 10", 10.5", 11" and 12".

So run 5 times the VE calculator and you will know how measures the 90% of audiophiles tonearms. That's it.

R.

@fusian  : Forgot that if you want lower distotion figures then and using Löfgren A alignments its tonearm parameters set up are:overhang  21.58mm and offset angle  24.8°.

Where the maximum error  0.94°   maximum distortion  0.33%  and average distortion  0.22%.  All these for your P2S  225mm.

Please don't ask how I found out those numbers because I have no time to explain you ( using VE calculator. ) or to any other gentleman, but that's it.

R.

Greetings 

Per VinylEngine’s calculator my arm reads as follows:

Max. Tracking Angle Error: 1.86 degrees 

Max. Distortion: 0.64 percent 

Avg. RMS Distortion: 0.41 percent

Joe Nies

Using a protractor like the Wally unit or the SmarTractor you can adjust almost any set up to a number of alignments by playing with overhang and offset so that the cantilever is tangent at the two null points.