Tube amps - what 3 things…

Hello all,

I am close to purchasing a tube amp moving away from SS. So far I have listened to a pure sound, PL, and allnic. 

Question for all you experienced owners - if you could do it all over again, what 3 things/features would you look for in an amplifier and what 3 things/features would you not invest in again?

thanks

mpoll1
@mulveling, man your type of clear and concise information is this is why I read this forum. Very direct an super informative empirical data. Peace ✌️

1. (Big, read 1940s- 1950s NOS) Choke filtered power supply

2. Fixed (manually adjustable) output tube bias

3. 2 times maximum duty rated transformers (power and output)

Bonus round: Point-to-point wiring

Features, approach:

• Confirm speakers used long term
  • Output tubes, ensure availability, spares
  • Quality parts, design, transformers

NOs:

• Avoid cheap junk parts used

A couple or three inputs so you don't need a pre-amp. Quality of construction (which does not rule out certain Chifi devices). Warranty and/or a good technician in your area who understands tube amps for when things go south. The efficiency of your chosen speakers.

I'd honestly consider a tube preamp (tube phone) and SS amp. Dan Wright of Modwright has created some absolutely killer gear at reasonable prices. He's also designed an all-tube analog bridge for SS sources. You'd be hard pressed to create a better sounding stack of gear.

Also depends on all of the other factors others already listened like speakers, room specs.