Shout out to Revival Audio Atalante 3 speakers

Normally I’d write a long review of something as I never seem to keep it short. Right now I’m looking at over two pages of handwritten notes and can’t bring myself to put it all to pen, so to speak. Throw in images and links and it becomes a thing unto itself. And it’s sad to say I won’t for what deserves pages of accolades.

I will say this though: if you want a great all around speaker that’s eminently musical at the expense of nothing of import, then the Revival Audio Atalante 3 speaker should be at the top of you short list.

If you crave tone, body and soul, then listen to this speaker.
If you enjoy air, ambience, shimmer and decay, again, listen to this speaker.
If etch, shrillness and a hot top end bother you, no need to look elsewhere.
If the bottom octave is not of paramount importance but a strong mid and upper bass done realistically floats your boat, this will easily suffice.
If coherence and presence is a big deal for you, no need to ask for any more cards as you have a winning hand.
If a beautifully finished cabinet is important, one that harkens back to better days, then this will fit into any decor.
If pedigree matters, then rest assured that this is designed and assembled completely in France. Also, the designer has over 30 years designing speakers for Focal-JM Lab, Dynaudio and others. The drivers are unique to the brand and not off the shelf for other brands to use.
Finally, if price is a factor, these retail for only $2500 and if made by another company, would command multiples of it’s asking price, which I was told, is probably going to go up soon. One member who I’ve been communicating with told me they got 5 pallets of speakers in and they were all mostly accounted for and 5 pairs sold while he was at the dealer auditioning them (2 were of the larger 5 series).

Demand is so high that they came out with a less costly design (two models) to take up some of the slack and to spread the love to those of lessor pockets, which is admirable.

I can’t tell you how much I love these speakers but this should give you an idea: I no longer listen critically to anything anymore. I no longer crave this or that. I can listen at lower volumes and hear all I want or need to. These speakers emotionally connect with me and did so within the first few minutes of listening. There’s no more wind in my audio sails but if I had the money and the space, I’d give the Atalante 5 a serious listen and most likely get them.

Now I find most of the discussions here amusing, at best. Too many unicorns chased and nothing to show for it. Too many lost in search of that perfect tree when you have the whole forest to enjoy at any time and at any angle you wish, if you chose to. Time to choose.

All the best,
Nonoise

128x128nonoise

@jcoehler Thanks for those wonderful shots of your set up. I have to admit I’m a bit jealous.😃 The Atalante 5 were the first speaker I was thinking of getting but my room is too small to accommodate them, which is why I gave up on my JBL 4319 monitors. They’re actually smaller than your 5s and even they loaded up my room with too much bass.

Have you found that the grills don’t really take much, if anything, away from the sound? I’m still undecided as to whether or not they do with my 3 series. Aside from protecting the drivers, they way they did it by having two sections add a lot to the looks, in my opinion. It’s quite a design statement.

I noticed that you have them just slightly toed in, which is what I settled on with my 3s. I used to have all my past speakers pointing directly at my ears, or at my shoulders to get the best soundstage but with these speakers I now have them firing at where my hands would be if full extended to the side. That would amount to about a 6-7° toe in.

I noticed when I did move them out that far that the musical info seemed to be more revealing, as if the performer themselves turned to the correct orientation as when performing (if that makes sense).

All the best,
Nonoise

Hey @nonoise 

At first, I didn't hear much of a difference with grills on or off. But the more I've done some critical listening I prefer grills off for sure. Not huge, but noticeable.

I am the same as far as toe-in. I started with aimed at ears, then kept tweaking the placement before what is now just outside the shoulder. I also tried the tweeter "inside" but that shrunk the soundstage and Revival recommends outside tweeter placement when 9' or less.

And I messed with placement for many sessions before this setup shown just snapped into focus. And yes, they not only sound great but they look great. And they are huuuge stand speakers :)