Best Way four Bass Array

I have heard DBA, Distributed Bass Arrays in two home systems

that both qualify as " Best Home Sound" I have heard. I have not

been in every high end home system but I have experienced some

pretty good ones. 

Here is the outline of what I consider as key features:

1. Four Passive 8" subwoofers.

2. Powered by a separate 500+watt amp.

3. Must have fully adjustable phase control. 0-180 won't do.

4. Sealed boxes for a fast, tight sound.

5. Down firing preferred.

Sadly This eliminates the one newer Sub I own. REL T5 x as it does not have the required type of phase adjustment control. Also powered.

Readers that have been down this path, please give me a Brand to consider. 

I want this to be a $3-4k adventure. Buying used is best.

If you do not subscribe to this bass system, I understand. Please start your

new counter thread rather than pollute here.

Thanks!

128x128jeffseight

@audiokinesis Hi Duke! Always great to read and learn from your postings!

I am also interested in your satellite speaker. Where does it crossover?

@jeffseight I have been thoroughly enjoying my DBA from Audiokinesis in 5 different rooms (the smallest and first listening room was 9’ x 11’ minus closets) varying in size, shape, furnishings, and floorings.

I have tried many subwoofers but nothing worked in the tiny room. I gave up trying until hearing about the DBA concept. After doing my research, decided to try. Duke was very upfront and honest when he said that is the smallest room so far in his experience. No guarantees

The DBA worked out very well for me in the tiny room, with my system.

It is not necessary to have "matching" subwoofers.

I have not tried mixing in active subwoofers but many here have tried with great results.

I have tried mixing in/adding additional passive subwoofers. Each additional subwoofer brings a significant improvement until around the 4th or 5th one. Perhaps around 7 in a really big room.

Good news is you can start small. Just grab a decent subwoofer amplifier and a few subwoofers.

After moving twice, I am now enjoying my DBA in the 5th room since using it.

I found my DBA solution.

Hope you find yours!

@hleeid wrote:

"I am also interested in your satellite speaker. Where does it crossover?"

The satellite speaker rolls off south of 60-70 Hz or so, depending on how close it is to the wall and how many ports are open. No protective highpass filter needed unless you plan to go louder than 116 dB at 1 meter.

The satellite has two 12" midwoofers with a horn between them, so "MHM" format, then it has an up-and-back-facing horn on the back of the cabinet with its own level and spectral balance controls. The crossover between the front horn and midwoofers is about 700 Hz. The rear horn goes a bit lower.

Duke