going from tube preamp to solid state

just toying around with this and it might not even happen.

have a tube preamp now and while i might sell this later on and get another preamp.......have there been members that have had a tube preamp, sold it and went to a solid state preamp and kept it ?          or did you prefer the tube preamp sound and went back to it ?

maybe got a tube preamp that uses different tubes than the previous one did ?     

the preamp i have now, i like the way it sounds, but just not a fan of the 6sn7 and never really have been.   i prefer the 6922, 12au7 / 12ax7 tubes better.   

innersound300

I've moved from a Rogue Metis to a Topping Pre90, and I kept and love the Topping piece. Much blacker backgrounds, more dynamic and detailed, more drive from top to bottom. I've loved my Rogue for many years, even found my dream 6sn7, the very bassy RCA grey glass. Just love the Pre90 more, simply cleaner and more transparent. Plenty of drive and gain for my inefficient speakers, both vinyl and DAC. Very affordable, a fine bargain in my book.

I have several preamps, but the one I’m using now is made by Dodd Audio and is battery operated. I’m using Tungsgram 6922 tubes. It’s dead quite with 16db of gain, and I have it mated with a First Watt SIT-3. If you can find one used it would make a wonderful preamp. This preamp has a number of good reviews

I think alot has to do with the design and implementation of the preamp, whether tube or SS and how well our ears are trained to hear these deviations. I had a Rotel RC-970BX preamp and thought it was sounded good, and it did but when I went to a RC-995 and honestly, their was a difference especially in the bass region. To me, bass is important in general, anything from subbass to 250hz. Any fundamental sound produced in this area may have an effect in the higher octaves.

There's an enormous difference between various brands of tubes.  I have no experience with the 6SN7.  My preamp runs the 6CG7, which is the electrical equivalent.  But there are big differences between various manufacturers.

Try doing some tube rolling and find what sounds good to you.

I have a highly customized SMC Audio SS preamp that sounds fantastic.

I would suggest giving SMC audio a call because they’ll build something that can meet your personal needs, wants, and budget.