Shipping a turntable with plinth from England to USA

Hi!

I am considering purchasing a used Garrard turntable with a heavy plinth from a gentleman in England.  He is "throwing in" an amp to go with it.  The two packages will weigh about 75 lbs.  He has never shipped anything that weighs this much to the USA before.  He is at the beginning on his end looking into this.  

Any advice on a moderately inexpensive way to do this?

He and I have already discussing the issue of the gear being packaged safely for its trip to the USA.

Thanks!

128x128rpppr

The very best way is to DELIVER this package to UK cargo airlines and then PICK UP same from cargo airlines in USA.

Even $100k speakers you can ship this way no issue.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Nice looking turntable for sale in Georgia - but above what I started planning on.

This "project" started out with a local estate sale with a 301 listed as "not working". I discovered it wasn't plugged in correctly and bid $400 and got into a last minute bidding war.  I knew there would be plinths, cartridges, tonearms, restoration, etc to pay for and wasn't naive about that.  An earlier poster said patience is a virtue.  You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Thanks again!

you can give it a try to offer $400 + possible international shipping savings and see if you get luck.

sometimes what you really have to do is ask.

theoretically, if you ship an extra luggage for your flight, they will charge you a $100

So if you find someone travelling from England, it is what it takes.  I brought stranger things crossing the Big Blue once or twice a year for the last 30 years.

I've done something similar.  I am involved with a group that donates Lacrosse sticks to schools in Ireland.  I will bring a bag of them with me one-way for $50 and save myself hundreds of dollars.

Now when will I be going to England?  Hmmmm