Better story teller than Edmund Fitzgerald?

There was a thread on A'gon about the most perfect song.  We had reasons for picking various, but for me it was Gordong Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Perhaps it featured an aspect of song writing that no one else much cared for:  A deep and detailed story in the song.

So I ask you, A'goners, what songs are as good or better at telling a story of a historical event? 

erik_squires

THE EAGLES from their tour, singing “HOLE INTHE WORLD ” about their heartache arising from 9-11 that interrupted their recording session personally and it expresses the angst and deep wound emotionally of all Americans ( and also to we Canadians who also suffered many lives lost in the fall of the Twin Towers in NYC ) arising from that day of infamy event.

@larryi Good call on "Cold Missouri Waters." When I first heard that I was inspired to read Normal McLean's book about that disaster. Those poor guys.

Red Barchetta by RUSH  who prevision what is in our near future. This song was written by Neil Peart based off a short story in Popular Mechanics. FYI, all the dystopian novels of the future are coming true!

GORDON LIGHTFOOT: “Canadian Railroad Trilogy”

"Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
Single by Gordon Lightfoot
from the album The Way I Feel
B-side "It’s My Time"
Released 1967
Recorded 1966 (rerecorded 1975)
Genre Folk
Length 6:22 (rerecorded 7:04)
Label United Artists
Songwriter(s) Gordon Lightfoot
Gordon Lightfoot singles chronology
"The Way I Feel"
(1967)
"Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
(1967)
"Black Day in July"
(1968)

WIKIPEDIA

"Canadian Railroad Trilogy" is a story song that was written, composed, and first performed in 1966 by Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, who released his original recording of it in 1967. The song was commissioned by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to celebrate the Canadian Centennial in 1967. "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" describes the building of the trans-Canada Canadian Pacific Railway, the construction work on which was completed in 1886. The CPR was incorporated in 1881.

Background

This song was commissioned from Lightfoot by the CBC for a special broadcast on January 1, 1967, to start Canada’s Centennial year. Writing and composing it took him three days.[1]

It appeared on Lightfoot’s album The Way I Feel later in the same year along with the song "Crossroads," a shorter song of similar theme.[2] The structure of the song, with a slow tempo section in the middle and faster paced sections at the beginning and end, was patterned more or less opposite to Bob Gibson’s and Hamilton Camp’s "Civil War Trilogy," famously recorded by The Limeliters on the 1963 live album Our Men In San Francisco. In the first section, the song picks up speed like a locomotive building up a head of steam.[3]

While Lightfoot’s song echoes the optimism of the railroad age, it also chronicles the cost in sweat and blood of building "an iron road runnin’ from the sea to the sea." The slow middle section of the song is especially poignant, vividly describing the efforts and sorrows of the nameless and forgotten "navvies," whose manual labour actually built the railway.