going from tube preamp to solid state

just toying around with this and it might not even happen.

have a tube preamp now and while i might sell this later on and get another preamp.......have there been members that have had a tube preamp, sold it and went to a solid state preamp and kept it ?          or did you prefer the tube preamp sound and went back to it ?

maybe got a tube preamp that uses different tubes than the previous one did ?     

the preamp i have now, i like the way it sounds, but just not a fan of the 6sn7 and never really have been.   i prefer the 6922, 12au7 / 12ax7 tubes better.   

innersound300

I have done it a couple of times over the past 30+ years.  The last time was 11 years ago and I haven’t looked back.  IME, you don’t need tubes to have excellent depth of tone, dimensionality, fullness, and dynamics.  That said, there are also a lot of really nice sounding tube designs.

I have owned both. You will just get used to what ever you use. The key is to give yourself time to adjust to the change. 

I’m a tube lover from way back. I usually have both,  a tube pre and SS one. The thing is having them both was a good thing because eventually I sold the tube unit and kept the Spectral. I just found my self using the SS more.  It was so different than tubes that I got to see a different perspective on the music and liked it. That being said I still miss some of the things that tubes did and plan to have both again. Only this time I’m stepping up to a better quality tube pre than before. Still can’t let my Spectral go though it’s very good. One of the newer ones but  maybe a little over the budget you mentioned. I think SS can excel over tubes but it won’t be cheap. In the $5000 range tubes may be the best bet. 

I have owned a dozen preamps over the last fifty years. My objective was always to improve the sound of my system with the next purchase.

I suspect primarily because of cost my first preamps were solid state… but for the last twenty years or so my preamps have been tubed. This is because as I moved up (always up, never sideways) the best sounding preamps for the money are tubed.

So, I don’t think it is simply a question of tubed vs ss. It is a question of what price range you are in. I would say that if you are looking at high end products… say in the $5K to $25K… tube products are likely to sound better. More natural and musical.

Also, for use to be helpful, if you would put some quick photos and your components under your UsrID… under virtual systems, we can be tremendously more helpful. Lots of times a question comes in about a piece of equipment, but the answer is about how your system is set up or your venue. Very helpful.

If you liked the 12AX tubes, you might like the Quicksilver Linestage. Much more straight ahead sound (less tubey) than 6SN7 but still with great intimacy, soundstage, and tonal straightforwardness. I have a modded/upgraded one (Mundorf, VCAPS) and I'll be listing it for sale soon.