Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

I use a download service Jamendo.  It allows free downloads no charge from artists who are trying to get exposure.  You need to sign up for it but I have found lots of good music (and bad) there.  All genres

@flyfish77 +1 "Discovering new music is far more important to me than the minutia of tweaking the sound quality of the music systems in my home.  Roon's ability to play or suggest new music to me has enhanced my music enjoyment far more than any gear upgrades that I have made.  To me, it is all about the music.."

Bravo.  

+1 @dinov 

+1 @waytoomuchstuff 

I've listened to mostly soul and R&B since the 60's; during that time, I also enjoyed some soft rock and contemporary jazz.  Lately, I've spent time discovering blues and more jazz. 

I've never been a fan of rap, and I don't particularly care for hip hop for a number of reasons.  There are a few new "soul/neo soul" artists that a good friend turned me on to.  I haven't found one yet that's produced a full album that I truly enjoy.  On the other hand, I have hundreds of old school vinyl albums and CDs that I enjoy every song.

I'm 75, at this point in my life I spend a little time exploring new stuff.  I spend a lot more time, just chillin' and listening to the music I've enjoyed during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  

So glad to see so many "fossil units" join in on this discussion.  Every time I get around my early-twenties grandson, the 2nd question I ask is: "Have you heard any good music lately?"  I make good notes (no pun intended) in my notes app and do a search later in Tidal.  I give them a fair shake, but nothing has shocked my world -- yet. It's good to share a interest music with the youngsters in my family.  (Hot Rods, not so much).  He has a pretty "low give a s---t factor" about sound quality.  That's a different subject altogether.

@normb +1 on WTMD. I found a lot of new stuff there when I lived in the area. The same with 103.1 before they changed formats.