Incredible improvement in sound quality

Ok, I am an old fart with a stereo. But my system sounds so much better tonight. Why? I went to my doctor today, as I do every six months (one of my favorite people)… and he noticed that one ear had a lot of wax. So, he had his nurse use a warm water irrigation device to clear it. Wow.

I use some drops, and work to keep my ear canals clear. But, for some reason I was not able to clear my right ear.

So, wow. My system sounds so much better. Sometimes you just need a professional. Although technically you can buy these devices for a couple hundred on line. You need to realize you need to use it.

ghdprentice

Using Q-Tips causes more problems than it solves.

When you push one into your ear, yes you will remove some wax, but you will also push some of the wax deeper into the ear canal where it eventually compacts.

As my mother always said. "Never put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear."

I have been wondering "why bother" spending thousands of dollars on upgrading a component for a possible 1% improvement in sound quality when my tinnitus adds about 20% static!  It sometimes sounds like trying to find an A.M. channel in the boonies a few decades ago.  It will not deter my stereo listening pleasure, however.  I just like to fantasize about how wonderful it would be to hear my system through clear ears!  Oh well!

So, wow. My system sounds so much better. Sometimes you just need a professional. Although technically you can buy these devices for a couple hundred on line. You need to realize you need to use it.

Couple hundred? I lost complete hearing in my right ear from wax. I listened to my system with a plugged right ear; less hearing than using ear plugs, since the wax was stuck to my ear drum. It was amazing to hear sound coloration from the left wall!  I heard things I’d never heard before.

I went to Walmart, spent $25 on an ear wax flush system. Drops to soften. Then a bulb filled with warm tap water. Took 3 flushes to dislodge and remove the wax plug. Several $100????? I’ve got a Yorx stereo to sell you! Only $12,000!!

I've got 8000Hz tinnitus. It may not be an "ear problem" but who do you go to for the limited treatment options? An ear doctor. So duh. There's other types, such as manifesting itself as static, crackling, etc. I just constantly hear an 8000Hz tone. It sometimes get loud, sometimes gets softer, but it is always there. But I try to ignore it as best I can and just listen to the music.  Wish they could figure out a cure but I've done some digging and right now, there seems to be only some low level, not very well funded research being done.  Some think it is more of a sensory nervous system problem and not necessarily related to anything being wrong with your ears.  Sort of like you are hearing your own body's nervous system background noise for some unknown reason.  Anyway, we can hope that some progress will one day be made to turn it off or turn it down. 

3 reasons to leave earwax alone

interesting harvard article I had bookmarked.

My Grandfather had the same problem @ghdprentice 

The solution was krill oil or some other sources of omega-3s plus drink more water. As you get older, you require slightly more water each day. Doing both will prevent excessive earwax buildup and improve overall circulation; especially to the ears.