Never heard an amp do this before, ideas?

I have a primaluna 100 unplugged from any inputs. It has this awful high pitched sound coming from the speakers when it's turned on. It happens on both channels, and through headphones.

I have turned off all electricity in the apartment, turned all breakers off except the one it's on, moved the amp around the apartment, tried a humx, and different power cables. I even replaced the unit with another primaluna and they both do it.

I'm running out of ideas, anyone ever seen this before?

hobbes101

& is it possible this is data from somewhere? Once I worked at a radio station & the chief engineer, no doubt competent in the early 20th century, laid a data line next to a mic-level line. You can guess who won that one.

Do not EVER turn on a tube amp without a load. Misery is guaranteed.

Depends on the amp.

A stable amp can be on but not driven without a load. 

An unstable amp may be a problem with or without a load.

the sound comes through the headphones.

Is the sound present on all inputs?

Does the level change with the volume control?

I too was stumped when there was noise in my tube preamp and in my tube phono. Turns out to be the Wi-Fi modem and (especially) repeater boxes were too close to my equipment. I could hear the noise abate as I moved them 12 -15 ft away. It falls off rapidly in an electromagnetic inverse squared fashion ....but if even turning off your internet equipment doesn't have an effect, it could be your neighbor's.