Question about Active Bi-amping

Curious about Active Bi-Amping.

My understanding is that to setup an actual active Bi-Amp (with compatible speakers), you would need either 2 mono block amps per speaker or 2 stereo amps and a External Crossover?

Would the Crossover in the Speaker need to be bypassed or removed?

OR

If you were to do Passive Bi-Amping, you would connect each amp directly to the speaker terminals but how would you connect the Amp Signal connections back to a pre-amp or Integrated since most are only have a a simple left and right output?

Thanks

128x128jay73

In the case of ATC (which I import to the US), there is no driver compensation, just filtering. One would completely remove the driver connection to the [passive] crossover and install a new connection straight to an amplifier, with an active crossover determining level, slope and frequency. This is not an easy thing to know and is usually beyond most of us to "self calibrate" the speaker without measurement equipment and a lot of the technical data on what the final curve should look like.

I can recalibrate ATC’s in my shop when drivers are replaced or upgraded, but I have a $12K measurement system with an Audio Precision device (a computer basically designed for measurement) and special acoustical software and a "calibrated to the computer" mic for the measurements. I know no one could do that at home, even if they had the gear, because knowing what the original curve was or should be is critical to avoid changing the way the speaker sounds dramatically. Experimenting, one could easily ruin the sound of a system and not know how to get it back without sending it back to the factory.

Brad

@jay73 Wrote:

What speakers would you suggest?

Let’s say a budget of $5000

Look for a nice used pair of JBL 4429’s and you can passively bi-amp them. 😎

Mike

With the two integrated amps you mention you can only do passive bi-amping with speakers that are designed to be bi-amped. I believe you should be able to connect  all of your sources to one amp then use the preamp outs from that amp and connect those to one of the inputs of the second amp. You can then connect the speaker outs of the first amp to either the low or high inputs of the speakers and the second amp to the other speakers inputs.

You would need a different preamp/amp set-up in order to use an active crossover and unless you wanted to add subs to your system, it's probably not worth doing.

@jay73 

I hate to be the heavy, but I would not even bother trying to bi-amp in the way you are considering. In short, you won't be getting any better sound from your system.

Believe me, it has been tried many times, and as you can see very few amps allow you do this without going through hoops.

Unless you just have to try it out, I would put my money and efforts into getting the best equipment for the speaker that you love.

Bob

@gdnrbob , Hey no worries. That's why I posed the question, to see if it's even really worth it.

The Logan's sound good, I was just curious to see if I could squeeze out a little more from them.