PS Audio Direct Stream MK2 DAC

While researching the PS Audio Direct Stream MK2 DAC on the PSA Forum, I came across this:

"Regarding “hum,” Ted said: “ You had the opportunity to return your device if it was wasn’t acceptable. I don’t know how one could claim to have been screwed…….”

Not only that, this “hum” was a known feature, as it was discussed early and often in the beta thread. Paul even went so far as to claim every component PSA has ever produced (or at least, every component on his shelf) has this hum."

Further, Ted himself says:

"The hum is coming from the piezoelectric response from a few critical capacitors in the power supply. The device was designed with a component that wouldn’t cause this problem, but supply chain problems forced us to design in a slightly older version of the part which caused the hum. Unfortunately, the new and old parts aren’t footprint compatible, so we’re stuck with the older version for a while even when the newer parts become available again."

Ted is Ted Smith, the" Chief Digital Dude" at PS Audio.

Question to all PSA DS MK2 DAC owners, do you hear a hum?

All in all, do you think it would be better to wait for a while until the problem sorts itself out - OR - is it "much ado about nothing" and I should just go ahead and get the PSA DAC?

I am leaning towards waiting .... But I am interested to hear your views too.

128x128dcpillai

I believe that the buzz or hum they are referring to is a component on a board. Maybe a transistor or something like that.My MK2 is dead silent and a very good bargain. I don't think you will find a better DAC for the money.

As far as their pricing goes their trade in program is awesome and if you actually pick up the phone and give them a call you will be surprised at the  pricing when it is time to stop kicking the tires and get your checkbook out.

All in all they have been a very good bunch to deal with over the last 5 or 6 years that I have owned their equipment.

I have a Directstream Junior, about 5 years old. No issues and in general I like it. I t has no hum. I tried the optical in the other day from an optical out on my TV- set to PCM- and got no sound. I can't determine yet if its an issue with the optical input itself or somehow that the optical out from my Vizio is "readable" by the DAC- though its been readable by my Sonos sound bar. I'm going to test hte optical out from a Bluesound Vault to see if that works into the PS DAC though. I run the DAC into a Pass XP10, that goes into a Passs 250.8 which feeds a pair of Wilson Sasha 2. No hum at all and it sounds great. I'm waiting a year or so to see how the reviews are on the newest PS DAC and to see if prices on used DCS Bartok's soften up a little. 

When I ordered new DSDac yesterday,I was told it will not  be ready to ship until May 2023.

Speedthrills, my living room system (not to be compared to yours) has a Topping E50 and used to have an LG TV. Although the TV's optical output did work with the DAC, there were constant and very short dropouts that drove me crazy. Topping's customer support advised that it was "a known incompatibility" with LG TVs.

That was a good enough excuse for me to upgrade to a larger Sony TV which works perfectly with my Topping DAC. If you happen to have at hand a TV of a different brand it might be worth your while to try it with your DAC and possibly rule out the same issue I had.

Odd that actual MK 2 owners are reporting zero hum here, yet Ted acknowledges there is a capacitor that hums. The fact the hum is inconsistent or intermittent or nonexistant in many cases is curious - since the capacitor in question is in the power supply, perhaps the variation is due to the variable quality of the AC on tap in each owner's house?