Tube DACs

For some time I've assumed that tube DACS are meant for direct output to power amps -- in other words, no reason to use a tube DAC if you are running through a tube preamp (unless all components are by same mfr and designed for synergy).

But lately I have seen posts implying some run Brand A tube DAC through brand B tube preamp -- say, Primal Luna 100 to Rogue RP-9. Can't find any prior threads addressing this topic directly.

So, question: am I wrong to suppose that pairing random tube DAC A with random tube preamp B is a bad, or at least a silly idea, absent a known synergy?

S

hickamore

I've never had a tube DAC, per se (where the tube amplifies signal). But I have had tube buffers, both external and internal to a DAC.

In my experience, a well designed and implemented tube buffer can add to the sound quality of a DAC, especially when the stock tube is replaced by the best quality NOS tube available for that design. In my current DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid, the stock buffer tube is a GE JAN 5670W. Well after overall burn-in was completed, I got a nice sonic bump by rolling the stock tube to a WE396jw. But when I got an adapter that let me use a Mullard CV5331, that was sonic paydirt.

An already very good sounding DAC got even better.

So I'm a believer in tube buffers...

Right now, listening to Qobuz through Bluesound to Musical Paradise tube dac to a Yaqin tube integrated to a pair of Forests,(secondary system). I wouldn’t have thought I’d be getting the sound I’m getting with such components but there’s amazing frequency range, plenty of depth and air, it’s amazing. No rules.

If you can run a tube preamplifier with tube amplifiers then why not a tube DAC? Makes sense to me, although I have not heard that combo but my gut says it should sound great. Of course synergy between manufacturers will always be an issue to be aware of, so if the first pairing does not work out well keep trying, I am confident you will find that correct combo that brings heaven.

@axo0oxa You miss the point. As the thread above has clarified, a tube DAC (or any DAC) with volume control can be used as a preamp in itself. So the OP asks, is you have a tube DAC and like tube sound, why bother using it simply to feed a tube preamp? The overwhelming answer is (a) results are better running any DAC, tube or SS, through a preamp rather than direct to amp; (b) patrons of tube sound prefer tube DACs with their tube preamps, and there is no reason NOT to use this combination as most devices are compatible.

@hickamore I believe this is what I was responding to which is what he wrote:

"So, question: am I wrong to suppose that pairing random tube DAC A with random tube preamp B is a bad, or at least a silly idea, absent a known synergy?"

Pairing a tube DAC with a Tube Preamp a bad thing, so I responded to that.